Under limited supervision, implements appropriate regulatory and GAAP accounting treatment for investments and investment related accounts. Accounts, analyzes, reports, and presents assets held for investment which may include foreign investments, mortgage loans, limited partnerships, cash equivalents, investment income, securities lending, repurchase agreements, reverse repurchase agreements, derivatives, collateral, structured finance transactions, and other investment related information.
- Performs accounting functions, and maintains and prepares month-end, quarter-end and annual reports (GAAP & STAT) for assigned asset and investment accounting areas.
- Functions as a liaison between the global offices, banks, accounting software vendors and Asset Managers/Investment Accounting Managers and responds to direct inquiries in order to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Researches, reviews and analyzes investment data/reports, provides solutions to resolve issues, and prepares reports.
- Provides support, as assigned, in report generation for investment committee, board reports, and press releases.
- Navigates through substantial quantities of data/reports and/or statements to detect errors and gather financial information for reporting and/or makes recommendations to set up new portfolios in all systems and setup reconciliation /reporting files.
- Assists in investment reporting and analysis for department projects
- Refines accounting/financial reporting procedures and guidelines to ensure accurate consolidation of existing and emerging domestic and international accounts.
- Works with other functional areas in the Company to achieve efficient and effective accounting and reporting practices and procedures and responds to and requests from other functional areas on various inquires.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent related work experience
- 5-8 years accounting or auditing experience
- Progress towards Master’s Degree and/or CPA
- Progress towards FLMI
- PeopleSoft or other accounting software applications experience
- Enterprise reporting experience
- Experience with Statutory or GAAP accounting
- Insurance, reinsurance, financial services experience and/or investments accounting experience
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic Word, intermediate Excel and SQL/Query skills
- Advanced knowledge of accounting/finance theory and application
- Ability to be flexible when needed, take initiative, and demonstrate accountability.
- Intermediate oral and written communication skills demonstrating ability to share and impart knowledge.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new methods, work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions.
- Intermediate level of investigative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Intermediate interpersonal skills
- Ability to set goals and handle multiple tasks, clients, and projects simultaneously; Ability to appropriately balance priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Ability to work well within a team environment and participate in department/team projects
- Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
- Ability to foster customer service as needed
- Ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
- Basic negotiating and persuasion skills
- General business knowledge
- Knowledge of investments and investment accounting
- Working knowledge of derivatives and their use to mitigate risks associated with interest rates, credit, equity, and foreign currency volatility.
- Knowledgeable about accounting and reporting for repurchase agreements, reverse repurchase agreements, securities lending and borrowing, and other structured finance transactions
- GAAP accounting research experience
- Experience with OpenLink Findur derivative software
Job Type: Full-time
- advanced Excel: 5 years (Required)
- accounting: 5 years (Required)