Position: Complex Claims Specialist- EPL
Reporting to: AVP – Team Manager, EPL Charge
Location: Atlanta, GA or Chicago, IL
About the Hiscox Claims team:
The US Claims team at Hiscox is a diverse and growing group of professionals and problem solvers devoted to demonstrating the core Hiscox values of courage, fairness and dedication to our customers through excellence in claims. Complex Claims Specialists are empowered to manage their claims with high levels of authority to provide fair and fast resolution of claims for our insureds and broker partners.
The primary role of this Complex Claims Specialist is to investigate and analyze EPL claim submissions for potential coverage, set adequate case reserves, promptly and professionally respond to inquiries from our customers and their brokers, and to proactively drive early resolution of claims. This particular role is open to Atlanta or Chicago and will be focused on servicing claims arising from our growing EPL book of business. This is a fantastic opportunity to join Hiscox USA, a growing business where you will be able to make a real impact and help shape the future of the claims team as well as the larger business. Together, we aim to be the best people producing the best insurance solutions and delivering the best service possible.
What you’ll be doing as the Complex Claims Specialist:
Key Responsibilities: To perform all core aspects of in-house claims management, including but not limited to:
- Investigating, reviewing and analyzing claim documentation, including proof of loss submissions.
- Drafting coverage analyses.
- Strategizing and maximizing early settlement opportunities
- Attending mediations and/or settlement conferences, either in person or by phone as appropriate
- Smartly managing and tracking third-party vendor and service provider spend
- Continually assessing exposures and adequacy of claim reserves, and escalating high exposure and/or volatile claims to line manager
- Liaising directly on daily basis with insureds and brokers, providing a high touch customer service experience
- Maintaining timely and accurate file documentation/information in our claims management system
- Continually to develop professionally and deepen personal knowledge of EPL claims, while being an ambassador for the Hiscox brand through public speaking, publication, seminars and active involvement in professional associations in the crime and fidelity industry.
- 5+ years of relevant insurance claims experience with a JD from an ABA-accredited law school and bar admission in good standing or 10+ years relevant claims experience without a JD
- A minimum of 2-3 years professional experience in the area of EPL claims
- Other first-party insurance claim experience also preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A problem-solver with a combination of interpersonal tact and business acumen.
- A customer service attitude.
- Strong ability to establish rapport and build relationships with stakeholders outside and within the company
- Team-oriented, with ability to excel in a collegial environment
- 10% Travel is anticipated:
- A thorough understanding of insurance law and concepts
- Prior experience with an insurance carrier highly preferred
At Hiscox our spirit is in Challenging Convention and everything we do is guided by our Values.
- Courage: Dare to take a risk
- Human: Clear, fair & inclusive
- Ownership: Passionate, commercial & accountable
- Integrity: Do the right thing, however hard
- Connect: Together, build something better
What Hiscox USA Offers
- Competitive salary and bonus (based on personal & company performance)
- Comprehensive health insurance, Vision, Dental and FSA
- 401(k) with competitive company matching
- 24 Paid time off days
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Paid sabbaticals after 10 years of service
- Dynamic, creative and values-driven culture
- Modern and open office spaces, complimentary fruit and drinks
- Spirit of volunteerism, social responsibility and community involvement, including matching charitable donations for qualifying non-profits via our sister non-profit company, the Hiscox USA Foundation
As an international specialist insurer we are far removed from the world of mass market insurance products. Instead we are selective and focus on our key areas of expertise and strength - all of which is underpinned by a culture that encourages us to challenge convention and always look for a better way of doing things.
We insure the unique and the interesting. And we search for the same when it comes to talented people. Hiscox is full of smart, reliable human beings that look out for customers and each other. We believe in doing the right thing, making good and rebuilding when things go wrong. Everyone is encouraged to think creatively, challenge the status quo and look for solutions.
Scratch beneath the surface and you will find a business that is solid, but slightly contrary. We like to do things differently and constantly seek to evolve. We might have been around for a long time (our roots go back to 1901), but we are young in many ways, ambitious and going places. Some people might say insurance is dull, but life at Hiscox is anything but. If that sounds good to you, get in touch.
About Hiscox US
Hiscox USA was established in 2006 to focus primarily on the needs of small and middle market commercial clients, via both the broker and direct distribution channels and is today the fastest-growing business unit within the Hiscox Group.
Today, Hiscox USA has a talent force of about 420 employees mostly operating out of 6 major cities - New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Hiscox USA offers a broad portfolio of commercial products, including technology, cyber & data risk, multiple professional liability lines, media, entertainment, management liability, crime, kidnap & ransom, commercial property and terrorism.
Diversity and flexible working at Hiscox
At Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we’re committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success. We also understand that working life doesn’t always have to be ‘nine to five’ and we support flexible working wherever we can. No promises, but please chat to our resourcing team about the flexibility we could offer for this role.
You can follow Hiscox on LinkedIn, Glassdoor and Instagram (@HiscoxInsurance)
Reference ID: 7901
Job Types: Full-time, Contract