Classified Title: Executive Specialist
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 37.5 M-F 8:30 - 5
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 46-MD:JH at Harbor East
Department name: 60000047-Office of the Dean
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The Executive Specialist reports directly to the Dean of the Carey Business School, providing high level support to the Dean in coordinating and facilitating the accomplishment and measurement of key organizational goals, objectives, and strategic initiatives of the school. The Specialist works alongside the executive leadership of the school, representing the Dean as requested, managing planning, policy, and initiatives for the Dean’s Office. This role requires strong organizational, relationship management, project management, analytical, writing, and implementation skills.
Note: Cover letter and resume required
Executive Office Coordination and Advisement
- Prepares the Executive for a variety of key meetings, presentations, discussions, including researching and gathering critical information and intelligence on issues, creating reports and presentations, developing and proposing agenda items, conducting necessary follow-ups, and briefing the Dean on the state of affairs, critical points and sensitivities.
- Develops strong internal and institutional relationships; collaborates extensively with a variety of individuals on different matters central to the concerns of the Carey Business School.
- Advises the Dean on best way to communicate with various offices, utilizing sophisticated level of understanding and knowledge of the University and internal relationships.
- Manages the Dean’s office Executive Assistants.
Initiative Planning and Execution
- Supports the Dean and Management Council in drafting goals and priorities for the School. Tracks progress toward those goals and priorities across the school.
- Responsible for efficient collaboration/coordination among different departments/units within the Dean’s span of control.
- Recommends policy and procedural changes to improve operations and overall organizational efficiency. Manages problem solving, coordination and priority setting as needed involving members of the Dean’s management staff.
- Participate in executive team meetings; make important contributions to discussions and recommend effective solutions and courses of actions as appropriate.
- Tracks and develops agenda items, minutes and follow-up for bi-weekly Administrative Leadership Team meetings.
- Manages and supports annual reporting of objectives and results for the Dean.
- Serves as point person for Appointment and Promotion Committee and Academic Council and institute tracking and documentation system to support these committees including policy development of faculty policies.
- Responsible for creating the Office of the Dean budget and managing expenditures against that budget during the year.
- Assists the Dean and senior leadership team in developing, implementing and evaluating organizational responses to changes in internal and external environments.
Research, Data, Trends, and Writing
- Supports the Dean in monitoring national and global trends in health education, practice and policy.
- Responsible for analyzing external data and trends and identifying opportunities
- Writes, researches, and proofs sensitive/confidential correspondence as well as reports, memos and communications.
- Manages and implements new projects or initiatives led or launched by the Dean
- Supports other business as requested by the Dean.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in support of academic, business, research and/or development activities and operations, providing high-level administrative oversight, coordination, and advice.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Additional related experience (i.e. experience in a field related to Dean’s/Executive’s area of responsibility) may be considered in lieu of degree to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula in exceptional cases.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with executive management. Experience in higher education a plus.
- Ability to identify and analyze a variety of issues and problems, make recommendations, and/or take action to resolve them.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercise discretion and mature judgment, and manage multiple priorities at once.
- Works well under pressure and meets deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to address/resolve difficult multi-faceted problems.
- Ability to maintain confidences and discreet, tactful and professional behavior at all times.
- Ability to develop and maintain sound professional relationships at all levels across the organization.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information