Director of Engineering
Relocation assistance provided.
System Solutions of Kentucky is eagerly seeking an Engineering Director for our location in Louisville, Kentucky. This person will be faced with enhancing the overall function and performance of the Engineering Department, which develops designs and drawings for equipment used in intralogistics applications and industries.
This position will include organizing the department’s activities to support the various development projects and production efforts of SSK. In addition, this person will be responsible for overseeing and supporting all departmental functions relative to the completion of mechanical design including concept and estimating input, incorporating electrical & controls requirements into the final design, and supporting the mechanical field installation as needed.
The Director of Engineering will report directly to our President. The ideal candidate for this position will possess extensive technical knowledge, as well as strong interpersonal/management skills.
Lummus Group is a family of companies, which includes System Solutions of Kentucky (SSK) in Louisville, KY and Carter Controls Systems (CCS). Our vision is to be a leading entrepreneurial player in logistics – in terms of size, global reach, game-changing offerings, and assumption-busting innovations.
Always asking ‘why couldn’t we?’ and then figuring out how to make it happen and relentlessly execute, we blend the best of both visionary thinking and ingenuity to push the boundaries of productivity for our parcel, postal, and e-commerce customers.
Our commitment to injecting radical re-thinking about what is possible is backed by generational wealth with a history of making long-haul investments. We have the freedom to think big for our customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the design team, ensuring proper work flow, available resources, quality control and excellent customer service
- Design or alter existing designs for mechanical equipment and sheet metal
- Design change responsibilities include evaluating, testing, and introducing into production material cost take out changes, production support changes, purchasing support changes, and new design projects.
- Coordinate with other departments to prioritize work load and ensure on time delivery
- Manage, lead and develop design department staff for higher level assignments
- Schedule and maintain engineering support for production
- Develop solutions for design and application issues
- Communicate and collaborate with multiple facets in differing departments
- Analyze progress and determine scheduling issues in a timely manner
- Coordinate and attend design review meetings (both internally and with customers)
- Incorporate electrical and controls requirements into the final design
- Deliver approved drawings and equipment list to electrical and controls
- Support the mechanical check-out and commissioning effort
- Provide as-build drawings and required documentation for close out
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering
- 6+ years experience in Mechanical Engineering
- Proven experience managing a team (3+ years)
- Strong attention to detail and core project management skills
- Excellent organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Adept at multitasking; able to prioritize conflicting issues
- Strong interpersonal communication; able to work well within a team as well as lead
- Able to implement correction actions with subordinates
- Some travel required
Our Values and Behaviors to be Successful
- We always make the needs of the customer #1- This doesn’t mean the customer is always right. It means we use our experience and knowledge to richly understand their challenges and become fierce champions for designing and executing solutions. We keep customers eye on the prize of achieving project goals.
- We care deeply -We take pride in delivering the very best for our customers and their operational efficiency goals. We believe strongly in treating one another with the same care and respect we have for our customers. Bottom line, we care about what we do and how we do it.
- We believe innovation means challenging assumptions and blowing out comfort zones - We see things other people miss, and look for ideas, angles, and even toeholds everywhere. It lets us out think and out execute our competitors. We reset the bar for the vision, knowledge, and skills to be the unquestioned leader in our field.
- We get it done -We have a “whatever it takes” mentality to nail deadlines and commitments. We share the urgency of our customers’ business and competitive pressures. Without sacrificing transparency and respect, we function as a schedule-driven company.
- We have each other’s backs -We reach across departments to unite behind a common goal – delivering the equipment and service customers need to achieve their goals. As a team, we go out of our way to support one another.
- We are not afraid to make mistakes -Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive deliberation. We value calculated risk taking, and when determine we’ve made a mistake, we learn from it, move on, and make improved decisions going forward from the learnings.
Job Type: Full-time
- mechanical engineering: 6 years (Preferred)
- managerial: 3 years (Preferred)