The principal function of an employee in this position is to coordinate and perform a variety of administrative support duties: communicates with public via phone, email, mail and in-person answering questions/concerns in a professional manner; drafts, signature ready, memos and other correspondence for admin staff; oversees the preparation of confidential reports and mandated state reporting; and performs other duties to assist the police administrative staff.
This position is 24 hours per week, working Monday and Thursday with choice of Tuesday or Wednesday as the other day.
***All interested candidates must submit a cover letter to be considered for the position. Please attach your cover letter to the application***
Essential Job Functions
- Answers questions, resolves concerns, and provides information to residents and the general public via telephone, email, mail and in-person; routes inquiries as appropriate. Performs research necessary to answer inquiries or resolve problems and/or complaints.
- Prepares, types, edits and proofreads a variety of documents including general correspondence, reports and memorandums.
- Organizes, drafts and prepares documents.
- Maintains personnel records and files.
- Gathers statistical and survey data, and performs data entry in preparation of periodic and special reports.
- Prepares and distributes approvals for all requests for payment.
- Attends, schedules, plans and/or coordinates meetings and events. Copies and distributes documents, correspondence, memoranda, agendas, handouts and other related materials in support of scheduled meetings and/or events.
- Enters data into various databases.
- A commitment to and belief in the organization's shared values.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Four years of administrative work experience within the past 8 years.
- Two years of advanced experience using Word and Excel.
- Must exhibit maturity, professionalism, confidentiality and the ability to remain focused on tasks, meet deadlines and show initiative.
- Strong writing, editing and proof reading skills with demonstrated work experience.
- Strong oral communication skills.
Additional Information: Knowledge of:
- Previous experience in a public safety or law enforcement organization.
- Associate of Arts Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Communications, or Social Services field.
- Public safety operations and the relationship of a support function.
- Departmental procedures, policies and rules.
- Personnel and finance principles in order to ensure appropriate application.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Understands the organization and operations of the City.
- The use of a variety of software applications (MS Office products) and technical equipment.
- The organization and maintenance of files and recording keeping.
- To utilize a great deal of discretion in handling confidential information.
- Organize and coordinate a wide variety of administrative support assignments.
- Compose correspondence and express ideas effectively.
- Prioritize work; handle multiple, on-going projects.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with all City staff, elected officials and the general public.
Exceptional services provided by exceptional people. We promote a supportive work environment that encourages excellence, accountability, customer focus and teamwork where employees are appreciated, respected and valued through our commitment to the employee-developed shared values:
Adaptable Learning & Innovation
Healthy Human Relationships
Outcome Focused Teamwork
This position is a non-union position with the following compensation range:
Step 1 - $23.987
Step 2 - $24.653
Step 3 - $25.319
Step 4 - $25.986
Step 5 - $26.652
- Yearly cost of living adjustment (COLA) and market adjustments may be in addition to the above listed salary step increases. Step increases may occur after six months, one year, two years, three years from date of hire.
**This position may also eligible for a yearly departmental MERIT payment of 2.5% after one year of hire per personnel policy guidelines.