Senior Social Behavior Scientist - (00050348)
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The Engineering and Analysis department in the Space, Cyber, and Intelligence Program Division engages users early and focus on their data and information – how to gather it, shape it, architect it, and analyze it – to make timely and effective decisions. We are systems engineers and intelligence analysts applying a hands-on spirit to solve hard problems in the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) processing, exploitation, and dissemination (PED) domain, operations/intelligence integration domain, and space operations domain. As autonomous systems begin to take on more tasks, organizations—from the military to healthcare—want to ensure the success of human-machine teams working on complex missions. The Human-Machine Social Systems (HMSS) Lab focuses on helping developers and users understand the social dynamics of their technologies so that the humans perceive their autonomous systems as helpful teammates rather than just tools.
We are looking for an articulate, highly collaborative, creative and self-driven social behavioral scientist to serve as technical project lead for the Human-Machine Social Systems (HMSS) Lab. This position requires a deep understanding of social behavioral research and application, with interest in human-robotic interaction applications. The right individual will:
- work as a core HMSS team member, but be self-driven with minimal oversight required from senior lab members,
- lead multiple technical research projects (lab and field) from design and planning through prototype application of results in applied settings, working with a wide range of subject matter experts and government and military operational settings and sponsors,
- emphasize and foster a collaborative mindset and work seamlessly across academia, industry (small and large), and government domains, and
- take initiative to identify and capitalize on new opportunities, learn new skills and integrate new technologies to improve and grow the team’s overall research program and address sponsor needs and gaps.
The Human-Machine Social Systems Lab is currently located at MassRobotics in Boston, MA.
- PhD in Social Behavioral or Social Cognitive Psychology, or similar, with an emphasis on human subjects research methods
- 2+ years of experience post graduate school in the application of Social Behavioral/Cognitive Psychology
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and comfort with ad hoc speaking to senior level
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Bedford
Job: Systems Engineering
This requisition requires a clearance of: Top Secret
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting: Jun 4, 2018, 9:03:35 AM