Job Title Events Specialist
Department Smalley Curl Institute
Full Time/Part Time Full-Time
Requisition Number S20331
Open Date 01/15/2020
Close Date 01/29/2020
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Benefits Eligible Yes
Eligible for Overtime No
The Smalley-Curl Institute (SCI) was created in 2015 from the merger of two of Rice multidisciplinary research institutes, the Richard E. Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology and the Rice Quantum Institute. SCI is the home of the Applied Physics Graduate Program (APP) and of several endowed postdoctoral research fellowships. It participates in establishing strong industrial collaborations, and takes part in novel educational and outreach programs. The Institute assists its members in forging new, cross-cutting and interdisciplinary research areas, and in seeking new means of supporting their work. Research in SCI encompasses advanced materials, quantum magnetism, plasmonics and photonics, biophysics and bioengineering, ultracold atom physics, condensed matter and chemical physics, and all aspects of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
The events specialist provides event planning services for the SCI with minimum supervision from the SCI executive director, the associate director and the APP chair. Events include conferences, workshops, symposia, lectures, site visits, receptions, dinners, and other meetings/events as requested, including events related to the APP. The events host local, state, national, and foreign participants, and attendees are from academia, government, and industry.
The events specialist will arrange event advertising, create agendas, correspond with guest speakers and other visitors, make catering and audio/visual arrangements, managing and maintaining events on the web-site. The events specialist will also maintain the alumni and membership databases, and work with the institute administrator to monitor the budget and process event expenditures.
Education Required Bachelor's Degree
Substitution for Education Requirement Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience Required 3 years
Type of Experience
Related administrative experience which includes experience planning and coordinating events.
Substitution for Experience Requirement May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Experience in donor and alumni relations
Valid Texas Driver’s License (or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.
- Strong project and event management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Must be well organized and detail oriented
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs- Experience using Banner WebApps and Concur
- Able to complete multiple concurrent work assignments, set priorities and problem-solve while encountering interruptions in a fast-paced environment while maintaining composure and concentration
- Ability to manage last-minute changes and problems that might occur at an event
- Able to arrange flights, hotel, car rental, and other travel arrangements
- Able to use work-related computer applications, including spreadsheets, word processing, forms management, publication applications, editing website content, and website content management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as interpersonal and telephone skills
- Ability to work independently with little directions and have a mature attitude and be capable of making good judgment decisions
- Excellent attention to detail and time management
- Ability to organize data, develop and maintain files and prepare reports
- Expected to maintain a positive and professional demeanor at all times
Internal / External Contacts
Frequent contact with faculty, staff from departments across the Rice University campus, and students at the undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral level
Frequent contact with high profile visitors, researchers, faculty, government officials, corporate executives, caters and other event support vendors, and conference planners
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds
- Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day)
- Pleasant office atmosphere
- Some weekends and long hours will be required in conjunction with special programs and events
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.