Do you dream about being outside surrounded by nature every day? Would you love the chance to hike, camp and backpack as part of your workday? This is an opportunity to live and serve in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, 2.5 hours away from Albany, with a team of like-minded outdoor enthusiasts performing critical conservation and trail work projects. This position begins May 18th 2020.
As a member of the Adirondacks Corps you will serve the land by carrying out trail construction and maintenance projects including trail clearing, bridge construction, stone structure construction, and more (85% of duties are related to trail maintenance). Additional tasks may include invasive species management (5%), park infrastructure maintenance such as firetower restoration or lean-to construction, and historic preservation, such as restoring historic cabins within the park (10%). In addition to these important duties, SCA will also help you to develop skills for a future in conservation by providing you with a variety of trainings and certifications in technical trail skills, crew management, and outdoor skills. You will also gain the life-changing experience of living as part of a community, and working hard alongside others to protect the land.
Members serve from remote backcountry tent camps set up near work projects for up to 10 days at a time. Crews may also work from frontcountry camps (close to road access) depending upon project. When not in the field, the 24 crew members share cabins with bunk beds, kitchen, bathroom and shower facilities at Adirondack Corps basecamp.
The Adirondack Corps has served the trails, lakes, and communities of the Adirondacks for the past 21 years, clearing thousands of blowdowns from trails, building hundreds of bridges, and constructing miles of new trail. Become part of this legacy of service and apply today!
$3097 AmeriCorps Education Award
$100 Weekly Living stipend
Full room and board for duration of program- housing provided at ADK Corps basecamp, and food/kitchen facilities provided both in field and on weekends
Valuable trainings and certifications
SERVICE LOCATION DESCRIPTION
Encompassing one-third of the total land area of New York State, the 6.1 million acres of Adirondack Park offer picturesque landscapes, limitless recreational opportunities and a rich history. For over 20 years the Adirondack Corps has been based in the Whitney Wilderness on the shores of Little Tupper Lake. The Whitney Wilderness offers corps members a variety of recreational opportunities as well as beautiful scenery to call home during their term of service.
ADK Corps basecamp is located ~2.5 hours from Albany, NY.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
All training costs are included in the program- listed is the cost of each training if taken individually outside the program.
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) and CPR Certification - $475
- Game of Logging Chainsaw Certification* - $400
- Rigging and Griphoist Use for Trail Work* - $400
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Outdoor Ethics Training - $150
- ACA Canoe Training - $75
- Comprehensive Trail Construction Skills including Native Timber, Stonework and New Trail Design
- Conservation Field Specialist Certification - $520
- Back Country Living Skills
- Crew Management and Leadership
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Defensive Driver Training
- Teamwork, Leadership, Risk Management and Conflict Resolution Skills Training
Total value of trainings: $1620
Total value of room and board per person: $2,676
(* members will specialize in one of these skills)
- Applicants must be US citizens, as we are an AmeriCorps program.
- Applicants should be in good physical condition and should enjoy hard work outdoors.
- Applicants should possess the ability to live and work in a small, close-knit group.
- Applicants must have good interpersonal communication skills.
- Outdoors or trail experience preferred but not necessary.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100.00 per hour
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement