Texas Monthly is seeking an experienced full stack web developer to help build the next generation of texasmonthly.com. Our team is looking for someone who has a track record of shipping products with reliable, maintainable code and someone who is eager to apply their engineering skills toward creating new and innovative experiences for our brand. Texas Monthly runs on WordPress using a combination of open-source and proprietary software and plugins. Our development process is agile but only formal enough to maintain efficiencies. This will be the first full-time developer role on the product team, and we are excited to supercharge our technical efforts in web publishing, audience development, advertising solutions, and new platforms.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining current and evolving codebase for texasmonthly.com, building out new features, resolving technical issues, and shipping code consistently to production environments
- Ensuring all web properties are running smoothly and performing well at all times
- Working with product lead, designers, infrastructure support, and other stakeholders to implement versatile technology solutions
- Integrating vital APIs (or in some cases building them) and implementing core production solutions
- Leading individual tech efforts such as page speed enhancements, server load reductions, building/maintaining data pipelines, or integrating our content in other platforms
- Sharing what you've accomplished or discovered for the benefit of the digital team
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working at a media company
- Ability to work efficiently and independently under deadlines and meet weekly commitments
- Experience working under agile development methodologies preferred
- Eagerness to learn about new technologies and implement those ideas in a production environment
- Good understanding of techniques/practices such as responsive web design, progressive enhancement, MVC architectures, continuous integration, continuous deployment
- Having built and maintained open source WordPress plugins is a huge plus
- Experience with performance tuning and security is a plus
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical degree or 4+ year's equivalent technology experience
- Experience developing and working with WordPress, 1+ years preferred
- Experience building applications for high traffic websites
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume with the job title in the subject line. If you have a portfolio, please include that as well.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Job Type: Full-time