A Washington tradition for more than 85 years, the family owned and operated Wagshal's Group is composed of DC's premier Delicatessen and Butcher shop, Spring Valley Catering and Wagshal's Imports. Established in 1925, Wagshal's Delicatessen became known as the President's Deli - over the years serving Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Herbert Walker Bush among other notable customers. In 1995, Wagshal's Market opened a few doors away from the original delicatessen. From its prime graded, dry-aged, kosher designated, carcass beef to its custom hot dogs, homemade sausages and exotic meats, Wagshal's Market consistently has earned top marks in the media. Washingtonian Magazine has named it -the best butcher shop in the metropolitan area with the finest meats and seafood. Wagshal's Imports the award winning Iberico de Bellota raw and cured pork products from Spain.
We are looking for a Purchasing Manager to oversee our purchasing and logistics for our production kitchen and other locations. This position supports all retail stores, catering and food contracts for Wagshal’s.
General knowledge and experience of food service and speciality purchasing.
Must be able to function under limited supervision. Able to communicate verbally,
and understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
Traits we are looking for will include but are not limited to:
- hungry for a challenge
- Familiar with ordering food,produce, paper,chemicals,smallwares and beverages.
- Computer literate and familiar with food ordering systems eSysco.
- be able to multi-task
- organized and able to absorb information quickly and interpret numerical and statistical data.
- detail oriented,ability to make decisions,and meet targets
- works well independently
- flexible schedule available weekends and holidays as required.
- willing to learn and take on an array of responsibilities
- knowledge and passion for food
- excellent communication,and negotiation skills by phone or computer
- sets an example for others