Position Available: * *Policy-Advocacy Coordinator | Department: Civic Engagement Department | Location: Cleveland/Akron, OH | Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours, non-exempt | Travel: Travel in-state and out of state may be required.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Policy-Advocacy Coordinator position. The person will be responsible for the management, coordination, and execution of the day-to-day policy-advocacy program including but not limited to legislative visits, the policy research team, education and awareness of policy issues, and the internal growth of the program. ASIA’s policy-advocacy program works to ensure that all appropriate communities are informed of policy issues and their impacts in the state of Ohio. The program works with partner organizations that serve the immigrant, refugee, and New American communities. The program also strives to work with leaders within each community. The position requires dedication to work with communities that are mostly limited English proficient. Knowledge of policies, the legislative system, outreach, and/or research is preferred. Occasional travel to different parts of Ohio, and out of state, may be required. This position offers an exceptional opportunity for growth for the right candidate interested in being a community advocate. This position will work in coordination on other projects as assigned by the Manager of Civic Engagement. The work schedule includes evening and weekend events, as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the development and implementation of ASIA’s day-to-day policy-advocacy program, including legislative visits, the policy research team, education and awareness of policy issues, and the internal growth of the program;
- Identify 4 key policy issues to lead efforts on/against within a quarter;
- Conduct legislative visits/calls in-district, at the Statehouse, and/or in Washington, D.C.;
- Build a rapport with legislators and their staff;
- Support policy research and policy advocacy;
- Lead and carry out strategic and highly aligned issue campaigns focused on immigrant rights, language access, education, housing, and beyond that directly impact ASIA’s programming;
- Develop and implement base-building strategies (field plan), including educational materials that meet the needs of different target groups, in conjunction with community education;
- Identify, engage, and build rapport with grassroots leaders, organizers, community members, and partner organizations;
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Ohio’s AAPI Legislative Day
- Develop targeted strategies to communicate policy issue messages to new American communities, as well as to marginalized groups that may have special information needs;
- Provide advice and support to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department to establish and manage a policy-advocacy program;
- Coordinate organizing projects as needed;
- Provide administrative support to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department where needed;
- Assist Civic Engagement Manager to plan, implement, and evaluate funding and program effectiveness of ASIA’s policy-advocacy strategies that support the development of a budget for policy-advocacy efforts;
- Prepare a policy-advocacy program report quarterly;
- Assist in expanding policy-advocacy efforts in the ACE Network, and throughout the state of Ohio;
- Assist Civic Engagement teams in issue and electoral campaigns in other states as needed.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs or more;
- Requires work on evenings and weekends, as necessary;
- Ability to commute throughout Ohio with a current license, insurance, and car access;
- Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice;
- Highly organized and acute attention to detail, flexible, and self-motivated/self-starter;
- Personal qualities include energy, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, a positive attitude, and ability to motivate and listen to others;
- Must be adept in working with diverse staff who are multicultural and multilingual;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office and OS applications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in-person and by phone, with high professionalism;
- Proven oral communications skills with the ability to interact well with the public, board members, and staff;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain the quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines;
- Must have a strong commitment to immigrant and refugee concerns and have a great commitment to excellence in social services;
- Must pass a criminal background check and have a valid Ohio State driver’s license;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in political science, international relations, communications, nonprofit management, or a related field preferred;
- Prior experience with policy-advocacy efforts;
- Experience leading successful organizing campaigns;
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting is a plus;
- Knowledge of AAPI cultures (their issues and needs, particular barriers and strategies to address those barriers), respect for all cultures, and the ability to interact with diverse groups preferred;
The position reports to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes: personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for a pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR Manager (HRManager (at) asiaohio.org). Visit www.asiaohio.org. No phone calls, please.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and the disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time