ABB is seeking a R&D/Technology Manager, NAM. This role is responsible for Implement technology development and growth strategies to enhance ABB’s global position and profitability in the medium/long term. Manage research and development (R&D) activities and resources by implementing technology projects using local and/or internationally located resources focused on a specific technology or functional area (e.g. hardware/software/electronic/ mechanical).
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Technical and scientific proficiency and leadership. Supports the development of design guidelines, technical drawings and documentation.
- Technology direction - Creates technology roadmaps for assigned domain. Defines, together with local management, and executes the Business Unit’s medium to long-term strategy (3-5 years) for own area of responsibility.
- Innovation and creativity - Develops culture and capability in own organization to ensure employees have the ability to challenge the status quo in technical issues, projects and/or processes.
- Projects, processes and tools - Plans and ensures an optimal project portfolio for the team. Plans capacity, people and resources for R&D projects. Oversees efficient, timely and quality project execution using the most appropriate internal and external. resources and partners (e.g. universities, Corporate Research Centers (CRCs)), as well as tools. Recommends, develops, and improves processes and procedures to enhance local operations. Applies appropriate development and quality standards and monitors local product quality and change requests to identify issues.
- R&D context- Partners with Local Business Unit management, Product Management, Supply, Production and Sales to ensure appropriate representation of needs within R&D projects. Evaluates local market requirements and innovation and provides feedback to appropriate product, manufacturing and R&D strategies. Understands technical or quality problems and provides technical support.
- Knowledge transfer - Ensures information flow among all relevant parts of the organization. Sets up and maintains channels for sharing knowledge and state-of-the-art developments from different sources (CRCs, universities etc.).
- Network and visibility - Actively contributes to technical bodies both inside and outside the Company. Promotes ABB R&D internally and externally to foster cooperation and knowledge sharing with external resources and communities. Builds, develops and maintains strong relationships with internal and external (customers, universities, etc.) contacts. Oversees appropriate participation from ABB in relevant international technical committees. Acts as local technology expert for special tasks in the wider organization. Manages collaboration with local universities.
- Intellectual property (IP) and risk management. Ensures action is taken to manage risks. Supports appropriate protection of newly created intellectual property, and assists in defense and enforcement activities of related technology. Supports monitoring and alerting IP issues to higher level management.
- Finance and budget - Prepares annual and multi-year budget in cooperation with local (& global) management.
- People leadership and development -Manages assigned resources for R&D activities, assigns tasks to team members, and supervises workload and work allocation within the project team. Ensures appropriate competencies are developed and acquired within the team to support development of future products and systems. Ensures (with HR support) that the area of responsibility is properly organized, staffed, skilled and directed. Guides, motivates and develops direct and indirect employees with the support of HR processes.
- Master Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering
5+ years’ experience in engineering leadership position.
- Technical understanding of Low Voltage systems and applications and switching technology, Measuring and Sensing of current and voltage, Protection and Control products and applications in Low Voltage Networks
- Strong Leadership skills
- Have cultural sensitivity to work across geographic borders
- Understanding of IEEE and UL standards
- Understanding of UL qualification process
- Familiar with development models and processes
- Strong Project Management background
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills
- Strategic orientation and thinking
- Experience in leading development groups and large development programs
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Location Mebane, North Carolina, USA
Business Unit Business Unit Building Products
Date posted 2018-08-06
Job Function Research and Development
Publication ID US66056151_E2