Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc., a leading distributor and processor of metals with over 177 years of history, is currently seeking a bright, energetic individual to join our team as a Human Resources Intern for the 2020 summer internship cycle in both downtown Chicago and Lisle, IL. Reporting to the Corporate HR Generalist, you will engage with various members of the Corporate HR team working on value-added projects that have real impact on the organization.
This internship offers a rotation through Corporate Human Resources functions including talent acquisition, talent management and compensation (downtown Chicago, IL), along with benefits and payroll (Lisle, IL). Our internship program provides you with the opportunity to apply your education to the real work of Human Resources. You will develop a broad spectrum of skills and cultivate a strong understanding of the metals and manufacturing industry, as well as the Ryerson culture.
Roles and Responsibilities:Talent acquisition & talent management:
- Collaborates with the talent management team on employee engagement and experience. Analyzes Human Resources provided data for the purposes of Affirmative Action planning and analysis; makes and develops recommendations for implementing process improvements as needed.
- Assist in launch of biennial company-wide engagement survey:
- Participate in meetings with survey vendor; learn about the science of developing effective engagement surveys; become familiar with mechanics of using SASS (software as a service) and successfully leveraging that type of tool
- Work with Project Manager and Communications team to develop communications necessary for publicizing and launching the survey
- Use advanced Excel skills to prepare demographic files for input into software tool
- Assist in the 2020 Market Pricing Survey Participation
- Learn the job evaluation process and complete Position Analysis Questionnaires (PAQs) as needed
- Assist in the annual Merit Increase Process by implementing merit increases and assisting managers with the Cognos system
- Work with Benefits team and vendors to enhance benefit program utilization
- Research market data and make draft updates to existing policies
- Hands-on overview of payroll processes, taxation compliance reporting and monthly and quarterly payroll tax filings. Partner with payroll to compile auditor reports for purposes of SoX compliance. Update ADP HR Operations desktop procedures for employees, managers and HR teams use, and post to employee intranet.
- Analyzes provided Human Resources data and operating conditions; makes and develops recommendations for implementing process improvements as needed
- Partners with cross-functional teams in the design, development and implementation of various HR projects
- All other duties as assigned
- Progressive matriculation towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree; December 2020 and May 2021 graduates preferred
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred
- No prior work experience necessary; relevant introductory classes are required
- Flexibility to travel between downtown Chicago and Lisle, IL office locations is required
- Possess an orientation for results, a strong work ethic, creativity, confidence and a passion for continuous improvement and excellence
- Strong customer focus, organizational and interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication, self-motivation and leadership
- Must be professional in dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Proficient with MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook)