About the Company:
PlaceIQ is a powerful, location-based audience and insights platform that organizes a wide variety of consumer activity data around a precise location base map at massive scale. PlaceIQ uses its detailed understanding of location and consumer activity to reach a targeted audience, and also to derive powerful insights about consumer behavior to inform market and business strategies for national brands. The company is headquartered in New York City and has offices in San Jose and Chicago.
Having already assembled an exceptionally skilled, diverse and passionate team of developers and data scientists, we are looking for world-class engineers that can (or are willing to learn how to) do it all. From web frontends to classification algorithms, complex data visualizations to geospatial clustering, a full stack enterprise targeting platform to big data analytics, PlaceIQ software engineers live for huge challenges and know how to deliver in a dynamic, fast-paced, and agile environment. Our unique culture breeds excellence and embraces creativity as we look to innovate and drive our business forward. If are a solution-oriented and self-managing individual with a passion for building technology solutions, we want to talk to you!
Our developers and data scientists build and release internal and client facing software systems that must perform, scale, be resilient and deliver consistent quality. As such, the System Engineer will truly need to deliver effective engineering techniques and operational excellence on a daily basis. Our system engineers perform in both operational and devops support roles, building and maintaining the infrastructure that supports the entirety of the PlaceIQ business.
We are not looking for just a scripting expert. We are not looking for just an infrastructure management guru. We are not looking for just a DBA. We are not looking for just an operations expert with the technical chops to create and maintain reliable and efficient workflow for our mission critical systems. We are looking for ALL of those qualities mixed in with the creativity and drive necessary to succeed in a fast paced environment with really smart people.
The ideal candidate will bring experience and intuition to bear when managing, data storage, web services and dynamic, load-balanced, always available, fully automated and monitored server clusters. We work with a solid set of open source technologies along side high performance proprietary software and data processing techniques. A strong and diverse technical foundation is needed most certainly, but success at PlaceIQ depends on the candidate’s ability to learn quickly and deliver consistently.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent technical field
- Strong foundation and demonstrated experience with Linux systems administration and shell scripting with an emphasis on CentOS/RHEL
- Experience implementing and maintaining n-tier web application stacks (ie. databases, caches, load balancers, web application services)
- Experience implementing and maintaining big data systems
- Experience with cloud-based services and virtualized infrastructure
- Experience with installing and maintaining network and server hardware in a datacenter environment
- Experience with server and infrastructure monitoring, logging and data tools (InfluxDB, Grafana, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Zabbix)
- 4+ years experience in a system engineer/devops role
- Working knowledge of Ansible and Puppet
- Working knowledge of NoSQL DBs (Cassandra, Mongo)
- Working knowledge of Postgres/MySQL
- Working knowledge of networking
- Experience with deploying and managing VMware infrastructure
- Experience with build tools and continuous integration systems like Jenkins
- Experience building, scaling and managing virtual computing clusters
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with distributed source control tools (Git)
- Load testing and system scale analytics and provisioning
- Performance tuning experience at all levels of the software stack
- Experience providing end user support for technical integrations
- Working knowledge of hosting Java/Python/Ruby application stacks
- Ability to clearly and accurate document work flow and technical systems
This position is located in New York, NY. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer.
Salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience.