Active - Benefit Eligible and Accrues Time Off
Flexible Hours and/or Flexible Schedule
Work Hours per Biweekly Pay Period:
Medical Center, US:FL:Lakeland
Responsible to the Laboratory Team Leader or Department Supervisor and is responsible for communication with customers to route calls, provide information on procedures and specimen requirements and provide verbal test reports to those involved with a patient's care. Responsible for receiving and processing of specimens (inpatient and outpatient); communicating with the nursing staff regarding patient specimens; ordering and cancelling tests; ordering supplies, packaging specimens for reference lab testing, tracking specimens, basic laboratory maintenance and monitoring/maintaining appropriate inventory/supply levels. Follow all quality assurance steps to ensure proper identification of patient's primary and aliquot samples, including secondary labeling for bar coding specimens, labeling culture medias, and slides. Distributes laboratory reports to all clients appropriately by mail, fax or telephone. Share responsibility of all aspects of patient and team (non- licensed) functions. May also perform Phlebotomy for the Laboratory.
- People At The Heart Of All We Do
- Fosters an inclusive and engaged environment through teamwork and collaboration.
- Ensures patients and families have the best possible experiences across the continuum of care.
- Communicates appropriately with patients, families, team members, and our community in a manner that treasures all people as uniquely created.
- Safety And Performance Improvement
- Behaves in a mindful manner focused on self, patient, visitor, and team safety.
- Demonstrates accountability and commitment to quality work.
- Participates actively in process improvement and adoption of standard work.
- Demonstrates responsible use of LRH's resources including people, finances, equipment and facilities.
- Knows and adheres to organizational and department policies and procedures.
- Standard Work Duties: Laboratory Assistant
- Processes specimens according to standard policy and procedures
- Answers, screens, and refers telephone calls with courtesy and minimal interruption of workflow
- Reviews all patient identification elements for specimens, requisitions, aliquot labels, media labels and other secondary barcode labels to ensure that patient identification and sample integrity is maintained throughout the testing process
- Compares specimens to associated packing lists when received from an outside source and documents any corrective action taken when there is a discrepancy
- Inspects all specimens upon arrival in the laboratory against established volume and quality criteria so that specimen quality is maintained. Questions technical staff for clarification and guidance for small quantity specimens with multiple orders
- Performs test order entry, add-on orders with use of appropriate order codes for requested testing. Orders are placed on the correct account/billing number for the correct patient. Captures and inputs all collection data, priority codes, phlebotomy codes, order comments and specimen information that is needed by the technical staff
- Triages specimens, managing the preparation of samples for testing by labeling, centrifuging, aliquoting and prioritizing samples so that high priority specimens are distributed and tested within expected turn around times. Communicates with technical staff regarding need for rapid testing and other high priority testing
- Prepares and distributes all categories of reports so that patient medical records can be maintained and reports are charted within expected turn around times. Supports faxed results for internal and external requests
- Performs successful phlebotomy according to standard policy and procedures
- Supports professional development by assisting with training and/or competency assessment for coworkers, new employees and students
Qualifications & Experience
Education equivalent experience:Essential:
- High School or Equivalent