- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Time Management
- Software Development
The Sr. Engineering Manager is a technical managerial level position, responsible for the software development activities within the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) for the various retail applications used at Sonic. Candidates are responsible for the IT software development strategy, with a focus on retail technology applications and integrations. This includes payment processing integrations with payment credit switches, P2PE solutions, Point-of-Sale (POS) and eCommerce payment gateways. POS enhancements to support our Mobile, Order Ahead, and Delivery initiatives. Audio integrations and enhancements that support our POS systems and more! This role will oversee delivery of product requirements while working directly with business stakeholders, service providers, architects and engineers to deliver technology solutions.
Supervisory Responsibilities Manages the day-to-day activities of the team. Management of the software development life-cycle and responsible for the overall direction, coordination, resource management. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Work Experience:
- Directs operations in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Builds strong relationships with vendors and creates cost-efficient contracts.
- Produces detailed timelines for each application release and implements effective project control by monitoring the progress of the software release and reporting the status.
- Identifies and prioritizes enhancements to be included in new releases; development of detailed specifications with assistance from team; and managing release, development, testing, and deployment (including communication strategy.)
- Ensures the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions.
- Translates business requirements into application features.
- Responsible for leading the DevOps culture within the organization focusing on processes and best practices and automation as a cross-functional team.
- Identifies the need for upgrades, configurations, or new systems and reports to upper management.
- Responsible for continuous delivery model that improves frequency and quality of deployments.
- Responsible for continuous improvement for all software deployments.
- Responsible for detailed knowledge of how products are developed and deployed.
- Maintains knowledge of innovations in the retail technology space.
- Collaborate with EA, Security, Solution Architects, and Data Architects to compose and implement solutions.
- Identify and mitigate potential technical/integration risks and down/upstream dependencies early in projects.
- Review design artifacts to improve program and project deliverables, including analysis, design, coding and implementation of complex, for custom-built applications.
- Manage multiple large-scale, custom distributed software systems projects.
- Understand the business context and challenges that organizations face and distinguish yourself in the way you articulate this with clients to create and deliver robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant software solutions that truly transform industries.
- Team liaison with vendor partners to convey Sonic culture as well as remove roadblocks and challenges that would impede productive development.
- Reviews designs, code and unit test plans, where applicable.
Preferred Technical Knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master Degree preferred
- 10 years’ experience in software development and delivery experience in C++, Java, .NET, or other modern programming language(s).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working experience with relational databases (MS SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres)
- Working experience with static languages (Java, C++, C#)
- Spring Technology stack
- ORM (JPA/Hibernate)
- Dynamic languages (Groovy, Ruby, Python)
- Messaging systems (JMS, RabbitMQ, SQS)
- Enterprise Integration Patterns (Mule ESB, Camel, Tibco)
- Web application containers (Tomcat, Resin, Jetty, IIS)
- Cloud based development (AWS, Azure, Google, PCF)
- Log aggregators (Splunk, Data Dog)
- Source control systems (Git, SVN)
- CD/CI tools (GoCD, Jenkins, Artifactory, Terraform, Ansible)
- Web services (REST, SOAP)
- API specification tools (RAML, Swagger)
- CD/CI techniques (TDD, BDD, Infrastructure as Code)
- Agile methodology-based product development experience
- Experience with distributed development teams.
- Ability to effectively dialog and interact with cross-functional senior and executive management
- Must be able to plan and schedule accordingly to ensure all deadlines are met
- Must demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness and monitoring of own work to ensure quality
- Ability to resolve problems creatively in addition to bringing new solutions to the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to handle highly confidential materials and information
- Prior experience with implementing EMV, NFC and Third-party payment capabilities in retail/restaurant/hospitality space a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, move, and remain in a stationary position. The employee must occasionally transport and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must regularly be able to detect, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, inspect, estimate, observe, and assess items, information, and objects in an office setting.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.