Kenvue is currently recruiting for:
We are looking for a Senior Trademark Counsel who will be responsible for managing a portfolio of our iconic brands
This position reports to the Chief IP Counsel and is based in Skillman, NJ with a hybrid remote option.
At Kenvue, we realize the extraordinary power of everyday care. Built on over a century of heritage and rooted in science, we’re the house of iconic brands - including NEUTROGENA®, AVEENO®, TYLENOL®, LISTERINE®, JOHNSON’S®, and BAND-AID® that you already know and love. Science is our passion; care is our talent. Our global team comprises 22,000 diverse and brilliant people, passionate about insights and innovation and committed to delivering the best products to our customers. With expertise and empathy, being a Kenvuer means having the power to impact the life of millions of people every day. We put people first, care fiercely, earn trust with science, and solve with courage – and have brilliant opportunities waiting for you! Join us in shaping our future–and yours. For more information, click here.
The Senior Trademark Counsel is responsible for managing a portfolio of our iconic brands, including the following responsibilities:
- Independently manages legal responsibilities about the global trademark and domain name portfolios of Kenvue, including clearance, registration, enforcement, maintenance, and prosecution.
- Provides IP support in a wide variety of transactions, including trademark and character licensing, sponsorship, influencer, and spokesperson agreements, supply agreements, agency agreements, and acquisition and divestiture matters
- Handles copyright issues including licensing, agreements, infringement, enforcement, and clearance.
- Establishes and drives implementation of legal strategies for complex trademark and copyright issues and programs that align with the Kenvue and the overall Legal & Compliance Department vision and objectives and cultivates the development of innovative solutions to enhance the protection and enforcement of our trademark and copyright rights.
- Acts as a strong technical resource/partner for complex agreement negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, and other deals
- Develops and leads training efforts for important stakeholders in marketing, sales, and otherwise across the organization on trademark/copyright topics and issues.
- Influences senior leaders and colleagues/partners to drive and align strategic and operational legal activities across businesses, and/or functional areas; Identifies future trends and recommends legal strategies to meet current and future business needs in the trademark/copyright field.
- Drives multiple programs and/or projects that have an impact across areas/functions
- Integrates and seeks the collaboration of multiple technical/intellectual leaders across cases/programs/projects
- With minimal supervision, accountable for the strategic leadership of trademark/copyright projects, clearance, and disputes
- Provides guidance, management, and support to professional associates to identify and implement policies and procedures for ensuring the protection and enforcement of trademark/copyright rights
- Leads reviews of strategic assets to ensure proper clearance and compliance
- Manages projects (including awareness of prioritization, cost/benefit and allocation of work assignments, etc.)
- Creates new and sustainable legal insights; identifies and develops new approaches in trademark/copyright policies and strategies; highly innovative and insightful business or legal strategist
- Recognized as legal authority internally; Daring spirit, backed up by insight and the confidence to influence key stakeholders in meetings and one to one basis
- Outstanding and clear communication skills; Ability to think analytically to understand complex or ambiguous problems or issues and articulate solutions/conclusions clearly and concisely; Highly strategic business knowledge with the ability to appropriately use judgment and risk-taking
- Works within and outside of the Trademark Law Department to inspire others to think outside the box and coach others on integrating new or alternative approaches to improve legal outcomes
- Participates in Legal & Compliance Department initiatives and seeks out opportunities to contribute to the department and practice group
- May have indirect or direct people management responsibility when managing cases/programs/projects/highly technical teams
- Manages relationships with external firms, partners, and/or outside counsel
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $137,000 - $235,750
- Juris Doctor
- Admitted to the bar in any US State; ability to waive as in-house counsel in NJ
- 5+ years of relevant trademark experience
- A thorough understanding of domestic and international laws, regulations, and procedures relating to trademark prosecution and conflict matters
- Proficiency and expertise in using docketing systems and document management systems (such as Memotech, Workbench, and First to File)
- Proficiency in using trademark search tools, such as SAEGIS and TMgo365, as well as reviewing and reporting out relevant watch notices
- Experience reporting full trademark availability searches for multi-national projects involving multiple marks in multiple countries
- Experience conducting preliminary trademark screens and creating reports on research results for purposes of trademark clearance or trademark prosecution strategy, reporting same directly to a business client
- Experience working with, managing, and training professional associates
- Experience providing training to business clients
- Experience working with and managing outside trademark counsel
- Experience working directly with business clients, including performing intake of new search projects, answering questions about search results, and providing training and guidance in the trademark search, clearance, prosecution, and renewals process
- Experience supporting acquisitions and divestitures
- Experience managing trademark litigation
- Experience with reviewing IP provisions of agreements, such as contracts, agreements with spokespeople, sponsorship agreements, license agreements, agency agreements, and supply agreements
- Strong attention to detail, organizational, analytical, and planning skills, in addition to excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The successful candidate should be extremely motivated and energetic, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team, as well as the ability to work independently and balance competing priorities.
- 2+ years of in-house trademark experience preferred
- In-house experience with the copy review process, including the review of marketing materials, labeling, and websites, identifying trademark issues and clearance opportunities
Competitive Benefit Package
Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!
Learning & Development Opportunities
Employee Resource Groups
This list could vary based on location/region
Kenvue is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.