The Director of Market Research role for Nephrology and Digital Medicine is a leadership position designed to support the customer & market information/insights needs of the Global and US Nephrology and Digital Medicine Brand Teams. The position is responsible for leading the market research, competitive intelligence, and select business analytics for Otsuka America Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (OAPI) and reports into the Senior Director of Business Analytics & Insights. The MR Director will lead the market research for Otsuka’s Nephrology & Digital Medicine inline brands, Jynarque and Abilify MyCite, and for other Nephrology & Digital Medicine assets in early development (e.g., Vadadustat, IGA Nephropathy assets, Lupus Nephritis assets, and other Digital Medicine products).
The Director of Market Research is expected to function as a team leader and contribute to the design and implementation of actionable market research that influences business decisions that add value and that drive brand performance. There is currently one MR position reporting into the Director of Nephrology & Digital Medicine MR, with opportunity to grow the team as the portfolio increases and early development assets move closer to launch. The primary stakeholder for the Nephrology & Digital Medicine MR Director is the OAPI Nephrology and Digital Medicine Business Units.
The Nephrology & Digital Medicine MR Director is expected to work with the MR team to lead the design, execution, and management of market research projects. Additionally, the MR Director is expected to select, manage, and communicate with MR agency partners for primary and secondary market research projects across US and International markets. The position also requires competency in business analytics and competitive intelligence, as well as leadership and collaboration with marketing and sales partners. The MR Director is part of the Business Analytics & Insights organization which is one of several functions in the Commercial Operations Department. The MR Director will interact with OAPI senior management and will serve as the primary MR point person for the Nephrology and Digital Medicine Business Units.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Autonomous and entrepreneurial approach to leading MR projects and teams
- Demonstrated excellence in executing MR projects, managing agency partners and leading teams
- Broad and deep knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative MR tools and techniques
- Demonstrated competency in going beyond market research results and providing deep customer insights that drive business success
- Proven track record of applying cutting-edge market research tools and techniques to positively influence business decision making and brand performance
- Demonstrated experience and expertise integrating primary and secondary data into synthesized information and insights
- Unwavering commitment to teamwork and collaboration within and across functions
- Proactively takes ownership of building internal relationships with colleagues and mastering cultural standards
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including active listening
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with marketing/sales partners and to influence decision making
- Experience and confidence working with, challenging and influencing senior management
- Adept at working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills and insights generation expertise
- Knowledge of and experience working with secondary data, including prescription data, patient-level data, sales data, and payer data
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively in solving complex business problems and to apply solutions to drive actionable results.
- Represent the MR function and associated interests in various business meetings and forums
- Proven knowledge of the clinical development process and product life-cycle from early stage through product launch, maturity and loss of exclusivity.
- Affinity for scientific information as well as working knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of and experience managing international market research programs
- Experience selecting, managing and developing MR agencies to become trusted business partners; to provide exceptional insights; and to communicate clear and cogent stories that drive business value
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a market research leadership role in the pharmaceutical industry or related profession.
- Minimum of 10 years conducting market research studies and managing projects
- Minimum of 5 years leading a market research team
- Master’s degree or MBA required; Ph.D. a plus
- Experience with Nephrology and/or Digital assets a plus
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide.” Otsuka researches, develops, manufactures and markets innovative products, with a focus on pharmaceutical products to meet unmet medical needs and nutraceutical products for the maintenance of everyday health.
In pharmaceuticals, Otsuka is a leader in the challenging area of mental health and also has research programs on several under-addressed diseases including tuberculosis, a significant global public health issue. These commitments illustrate how Otsuka is a “big venture” company at heart, applying a youthful spirit of creativity in everything it does.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 45,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 11 billion (€ 9.9 billion) in 2016.
All Otsuka stories start by taking the road less travelled. Learn more about Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company on its global website at www.otsuka.co.jp/en. Learn more about Otsuka in the U.S. at www.otsuka-us.com.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.