To view the announcement, please click the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556510900
YOU MUST APPLY THROUGH USAJOBS. NO OTHER SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Open & Closing Dates: 01/13/2020 to 01/31/2020
Job Announcement Number: 20-HUD-257-X
Position Title: Law Clerk
PP - Series - Grade: GS-0904-11
Pay scale & grade: GS-11
Salary: $67,437 to $96,149 per year
Appointment type: Temporary - Not to Exceed 14 months
Work schedule: Full-Time - Excepted - Not to Exceed 14 months
Locations: 10 vacancies in the following locations:
New York, NY
Fort Worth, TX
LEGAL HONORS PROGRAM
HUD’s Legal Honors Program is designed for law students graduating from J.D. and LLM programs, and recent law school graduates completing a judicial clerkship. The Legal Honors Program is HUD’s only hiring program for entry-level attorneys. Subject to appropriations, legal honor positions are available annually in headquarters and field offices. Successful candidates begin work in September and participate in a 14-month appointment that can lead to a permanent position, pending bar admission. During the program, Legal Honors are assigned mentors, are given the opportunity to rotate to other offices within OGC, and participate in additional training and monthly discussions to enhance their program experience and develop their legal abilities.
The program is highly competitive and candidates are selected on the basis of merit. Selection considerations include many factors such as: academic achievement; law review and other publication work; extracurricular activities such as moot court competitions and legal clinics; employment history; and participation in activities related to HUD’s mission.
Additional information regarding the legal honors law clerk program can be found at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/general_counsel
As a Law Clerk, you will:
- Prepare and handle both affirmative and defensive litigation cases involving all programs and participates with private attorneys in handling cases involving HUD funded activities.
- Participate in matters affecting HUD programs and administration in the field office or HUD Headquarters jurisdiction and exercises clear and precise judgment and discretion in formulating responses to legal issues with the assistance of the senior level attorney
- Provide professional and administrative legal assistance as appropriate to protect the interests of the United States.
- Prepare all pleadings, motions, briefs, and memorandum of law to be filed in cases. As appropriate, these documents are reviewed by a senior level attorney.
- Perform legal research and prepare memoranda of law based upon the products of his or her research.
- Conducts discovery, including examination or cross-examination of witnesses by deposition.
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
Salary: $67,437.00 to $96,149.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift