The Materials Engineer will be an integral member of the Advanced Photonics R&D team and will be heavily involved in R&D engineering and product development. The Materials Engineer will be responsible for developing and analyzing the materials and processes that produce high-precision prototypes by running experiments/studies, programming, setting-up and operating high precision tools and equipment; maintaining quality and safety standards; data collection & reporting; maintaining equipment and supplies, and evaluating and implementing new processes in an R&D fabrication environment. Candidates must be highly innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Responsible for investigation of thin-film deposition processes and interface- and layer-level metrology in support of this research.
- Drives material selection from candidate selection through qualification to prototype implementation. Supports production supply chain as technical expert on these materials.
- Plans and conducts activities related to the development of new processes including researching current and emerging technologies, evaluating process cost, quality, and capability alternatives, and performing process characterization and optimization using designed experiments, problem solving and decision making tools.
- Develops, implements and refines current prototype manufacturing processes on precision manufacturing and process equipment.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, and organizing repairs.
- Creates and maintains specifications, process of record and documentation for processes developed and utilized.
- Utilizes precision metrology systems to measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects, improve systems or processes and ensure conformance to specifications (such as micrometers, laser measurement tools, CMM, SEM, optical microscopes, etc.)
- Designs experiments; collects, analyzes and interprets data; drives technical problem solving; innovates creative solutions; and clearly communicates findings through presentation and reports.
- Provides complex design reviews and feedback for improvements in manufacturability, facilitating technology transfer from process development to commercial-scale processes for new product introductions.
- Works as needed to meet organizational R&D, testing and production timelines and milestones.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in hands-on R&D engineering or prototype development with precision component manufacturing, preferably in optics/photonics.
- Must possess expert knowledge of materials, coating, adhesives, lamination, and bonding processes relevant to optics.
- Demonstrated experience working with coatings, adhesives, and thermal/UV lamination techniques and equipment. Preference given to those candidates responsible for development of complex optical parts/systems utilizing such processes.
- Strong knowledge of thin-film materials and processes, preferably including hands-on experience with evaporation, sputtering, CVD, or ALD.
- Demonstrated experience in materials, materials science and/or materials chemistry.
- Able to work in clean-room environment for significant portions of workday. Prior clean-room experience is beneficial.
- Fundamental knowledge of optics, photonics, optical engineering/science.
- Experience with thin-film deposition or precision component fabrication tools, including fundamental understanding of operation, process controls and programming.
- Must be a strong team player with demonstrated ability to work with other engineers and technicians to support the delivery of projects.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and support multiple complex projects at the same time.
- Knowledge and experience with mechanical design/CAD software (i.e., Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, etc) is preferred.
- B.S. in Materials Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field with appropriate background.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.