Neighborhood Legal Services-NLS (www.nlsa.us) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney for our Pittsburgh, PA office to provide the highest quality of legal representation and handle all functions related to veterans casework in a high-volume, general law practice. NLS is the major provider of free civil legal aid to low-income, elderly, and abused individuals in our four-county service area. The Staff Attorney will work with attorneys, paralegals, social workers, students, and others on cases or projects; engage in/encourage community education; participate in the local bar association; participate in fundraising efforts, and cooperate with NLS management to ensure compliance with all regulations and funding requirements of the program. This is a bargaining unit position.
TO APPLY, LOG ON TO;
- Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in Pennsylvania;
- At least five years of experience practicing general law;
- Computer knowledge and appropriate use of Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated Organizational Skills;
- Must have efficient transportation to locations other than the NLS office as needed for work
- Maintains a caseload.
- Performs legal research and prepares memoranda, pleadings, discovery, motions, appeals, and interrogatories and keeps Managing Attorney advised of case statuses.
- Evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of cases and prepares cases for presentation in court as needed.
- Negotiates case resolution with opposing parties, opposing attorneys and the guardian ad items.
- Appears in State and Federal courts for motions, trials, arguments, hearings, rules to show cause, pre-trial conferences, status conferences, roster/docket sounding and appeals.
- Fills in for other attorneys as needed.
- Meet with partner agencies and local community/agency advocates. Attends required meetings and seminars.
- Consults with other attorneys and attend staff meetings and training seminars as required.
- Maintains knowledge and skills in current case decisions and legislation.
- Attends training sessions on current legal updates and reads legal materials to update professional knowledge.
- Organizes and maintains files and records of a confidential, complex, or otherwise sensitive nature.
- Coordinates conducts and/or participates in community outreach events.
- Performs all other duties as may be requested by the Managing Attorney, Director of Advocacy, Director of Program Performance and Compliance of Litigation Coordinator or Executive Director.
Salary is dependent on experience in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
In addition to a fair salary, this position also includes:
- Free medical insurance through Highmark for employee and their family
- Free dental insurance through Highmark for employee and their family
- $625- $1250 employer contribution to an HRA plan for employee and their family
- Employer match up to 2.5% in our 403b plan through Alerus (with 3% employee contribution)
- 14 sick days in the first year (prorated by fiscal year)
- 15 vacation days in the first year (prorated by fiscal year)
- 15 paid holidays a year
- 3 personal days a year (prorated by the calendar year)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- general law: 5 years (Preferred)
- Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Preferred)
- Active member of the Pennsylvania State Bar (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19