This position reports to the Director of Drilling with the primary responsibilities being well planning and daily technical support during drilling operations to ensure delivery of well objectives. Daily interaction with office and field personnel across multiple technical disciplines is required. Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are required. Must be self-motivated, strong ethics, ability to work with minimum supervision, and demonstrate collaborative behavior in the workplace.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Develop the final well plan to meet well objectives and comply with policies and regulations.
- Provide technical support to drilling operations through daily interfaces with Rig Team.
- Assess risk in both well planning and operations and develop contingency plans.
- Work with Rig Team and other technical disciplines to identify optimization and cost savings opportunities.
- Communicate with contractors/service companies to ensure understanding of well objectives, performance issues and pricing issues. Take the lead on resolution of problems or conflicts.
- Provide logistical and scheduling support to drilling operations.
- Identify new unconventional technologies and implement where appropriate.
- Access, apply and transfer best engineering and operational practices.
- Provide technical support for the budget planning process.
- Develop permits, AFE’s and required documentation.
- Perform post well reviews and incorporate learning into future well plans.
- Implement and execute performance management systems.
- Perform detailed industry benchmarking studies.
- Prepare effective communication tools and presentations.
- Other duties as required.
CORE COMPETENCIES :
- Minimum BS Degree in Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years engineering experience in the oil and gas industry with majority being in a drilling related role.
- Demonstrates an extensive working knowledge of all technical principles, theories and concepts related to drilling engineering and operations.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and influence team members without direct authority. Actively promotes and challenges expertise provided by others for a positive impact on team decision making.
- Horizontal experience required (extended reach drilling a plus).
- Strong analytical skills with working knowledge of Landmark planning applications required (knowledge of geomechanical analysis using Predict application is a strong plus).
- Apply state-of-the-art technology to address/resolve issues and to determine best course of action.
- Provides leadership role in promoting safety and environmental best practices.
- Strong industry network for transfer of technology and best practices.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Permian Basin experience a plus.
- Project management experience a plus.
FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES :
- Decision Quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Ensures Accountability – Holding self and other accountable to meet commitments.
- Collaborates – Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Instills Trust – Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Being Resilient – Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
WORKING CONDITIONS :
- Tech Savvy – Anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applicants.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Persuades – Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
- Self-Development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
This position is primarily an office position where work is normally performed in a climate controlled environment. Travel to all Laredo office and field locations is required. When at field locations, work is normally performed outdoors where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, fumes and gases is common. Noise level is moderate to loud and includes sounds of construction, equipment operations, and trucks and like equipment. When at field locations, job hazards include working around heavy truck traffic, drilling activities and pressured equipment and under all weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
Work will require frequent domestic travel. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at moderate skill level. Work will primarily involve normal office activities, but may require some standing and walking at field locations.
Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.