This position is part remote, part on-site at the Island Hospital in Anacortes, WA. Candidates will be expected to help out on-site as needed and remotely as needed. This is an entry level position responsible for processing all release of information (ROI) specifically medical record requests in a timely and efficient manner ensuring accuracy and providing customers with the highest quality product and customer service. Associate must at all times safeguard and protect the patient’s right to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives incoming requests for information and responds to requests by opening mail, assisting walk- ins and telephone inquiries, and retrieving facsimile inquiries in a timely
- Date stamps all requests and highlights pertinent data to facilitate
- Validates requests and authorizations for release of medical information according to established procedures and HIPAA
- Completes release of information requests including retrieving patient’s medical charts and returning charts, copying/scanning medical records accurately and correctly, according to requests, established procedures, and established standards of quality and productivity;
- Performs quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release, confidentiality, and proper invoicing.
- Maintains equipment in excellent operating condition (inside and out) and troubleshoot equipment issues with assistance from the Help Desk
- Provides excellent customer service by being attentive, respectful and professional at all times; insures understanding of customer request and follows-through as promised; being proactive in identifying and addressing client concerns, or
- Demonstrates helpful and effective telephone etiquette and customer service skills by providing appropriate information to callers.
- Maintains a neat, clean, and professional personal appearance and observes the dress code established by ChartFast or the client
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area, insures that records and files are properly stored before leaving area, and insures adequate supplies to meet customer
- Maintains working knowledge of the current state laws regarding fee structure, and HIPAA regulations as well as facility policies and procedures in regard to release of
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality as scheduled. Notifies Area Manager and/or Director of Operations and/or Site Coordinator if unable to adhere to daily
- Adheres to all ChartFast time and attendance policies or applicable law covering meal breaks and rest periods. Records all accurate work hours in ChartFast’s designated time keeping system daily and adheres to ChartFast’s overtime policy and procedures for requesting time off or change in schedule
- Works within scope of position and direction; willingly accepts assignments and is available to take on additional client facilities and assist with ROI
- Performs responsibilities in accordance with ChartFast and client facilities policies and procedures and state and federal labor regulations and works to minimize confidentiality
- Maintains confidentiality, information security and ethical behavior when handling all ChartFast and medical records information during transport, storage and disposal. Will not remove medical records information from client site unless written authorization is provided by the facility’s HIM Director, ChartFast Area Manager and/or Director of Operations or Vice President of Operations/Customer Experience.
- Attends and participates in required educational training sessions and staff meetings as scheduled and assigned.
- Ability to adapt to change and respond to difficult and challenging situations in a professional
- Accepts new assignments willingly to meet business
- Communicates with Manager on an on-going basis, providing information and data as requested including client’s changing needs and
- Promptly reports to Manager any customer service concerns and/or any potential HIPAA violations whether actual or
- Informs Manager of site or work difficulties, special project requests from facility, and fluctuating volume in daily
- Ability to accurately and efficiently utilize a computer for data input, retrieval of data and all other tasks associated with release of information services and time
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, organize workload and prioritize work tasks to meet production
- Ability to recognize emergency situations within context of job duties and communicate potential issues to supervisor, Area Manager and/or Director of Operations.
- Maintains knowledge of safety procedures to ensuring a safe work environment and reports safety concerns to Area Manager and/or Director of Operations.
- Maintains a current and valid driver’s license and insures personal automobile insurance is in force and will be maintained, in at least the amounts required by state law, on any automobile or transportation that is use in connection ChartFast
- Checks ChartFast and other assigned email and communication systems and client assigned email on a daily basis. Utilizes assigned tools within established guidelines. Performs other tasks as assigned including but not limited to working at facilities within 50 miles of principal site as business needs
- Adheres to ChartFast’s Code of Conduct and business
- Administrative experience in an office setting; previous release of information, medical records, or other related experience in a healthcare environment is
- Proven customer service experience and/or
- Ability to effectively use computer software and technology as required by the client facility including Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to understand and become knowledgeable of Release of Information standards, policies & procedures and HIPAA regulations and to complete work in compliance of these and other standards.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple, healthcare terminology
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Effective organizational skills a must
- Ability to use fax, copier, microfilm machine, and multi-line phone system and other required work tools
- Ability to learn new equipment and required processes in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work professionally, effectively, and efficiently in a team environment with customers, management and co-workers.
- Must be willing to travel to multiple sites based on the needs of the region
- Must be able to multi-task effectively
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma (GED) required
- A minimum of an Associates’ Degree in healthcare related discipline desired
- Knowledge, experience and/or training in accurate data entry, office equipment and procedures required.
- Employee shall work in a non-hostile work environment. That is, the employee is expected not to engage in or be subjected to any activity that unreasonably interferes with the performance of any other employee, such as sexual harassment, unlawful discrimination, or any other behavior that unduly demeans or intimidates another employee
- Employee is expected to exhibit open and tactful communication and the sharing of jobs
- Employee is expected to follow ChartFast’s Code of Conduct and relay any concerns or questions concerning ChartFast or its operations directly to ChartFast management.
Job Type: Full-time
- Medical Records: 3 years (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Release of Information: 2 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Mount Vernon, WA (Preferred)