The Accountant reports to a Senior Accountant and performs a variety of accounting activities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) for the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (JPB), and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA).
Minimum Qualifications: Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Three years of full-time accounting or related experience.
- Must have experience with ERP databases; PeopleSoft experience is desirable.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Review, analyze, and reconcile revenue, expenses, accounts receivable, accounts payable, deferred revenue, and member agency contribution accounts.
- Compile, interpret and analyze accounting data such as budget, encumbrances and expenses.
- Review accounting documents to ensure accuracy of information and calculations. Make necessary correcting entries.
- Analyze accounting variances, trends, exceptions and discrepancies.
- Process and analyze accounting data in an electronic Enterprise Resource Planning database (ERP).
- Prepare financial statements and reports.
Examples of Duties:
- Review and analyze transactions for completeness, accuracy and proper coding.
- Maintain system sub ledgers; prepare journal entries.
- Analyze project costs, grant expenditures, and fixed asset accounting. Add, delete, and adjust fixed asset information.
- Prepare documentation for audits monthly and annually.
- Prepare journal entries and reconciliation of general ledger to subsidiary ledgers.
- Assist in completing and compiling the documentation for annual audits and year-end financial reporting.
- Answer accounting questions, and resolve issues for internal and external customers.
- Prepare the State Controller’s Report and National Transit Database Reports.
- Input payment vouchers, cost reports and other documents into the ERP.
- Review documentation for proper authorization and conformance with agreements, contracts and local, state or federal regulations.
- Process expense reports, invoices, progress payments and other requests for payments.
- Process the weekly pay cycle and provide weekly accounts payable cash estimates.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How To Apply
Although we encourage applicants to apply online, we are still accepting paper applications.
- Apply 24 hours a day through our online at application system at www.smctd.com/jobs.html or complete a SamTrans Employment Application per instructions printed on the application. This position closes at 11:59pm on Friday, June 29, 2018.
- Incomplete or improperly completed online or paper applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to ensure that the online or paper application reflects the work experience and education needed to meet the requirements for the position(s) for which you are applying.
- Although your resume may have all your experience and education details, please make sure to complete each section of the online or paper application to ensure that your information is accurately captured during our screening process.
- You may call (650) 508-6308 to verify that your online or paper application package has been received.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
- Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications and completeness.
- Written and/or skills assessment examination.
- Finalists will be interviewed by screening and selection panel.
- Background investigation.
The salary range is $35.33 - $53.00 ($73,494 – $110,241) annually, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
SamTrans offers a generous and competitive benefit package including:
- 26 days of paid time off per year to start
- Seven paid holidays, plus up to five floating holidays per year
- Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance and Flexible Savings Account
- Free Bus Transportation for employees and qualified dependents
- Social Security benefit
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan for retirement
- Tuition Reimbursement Program for career advancement
- CalPERS Retirement Benefit
- Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
- New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for accommodation, please call (650)508-6288.
The District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.