Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the biology of aging and devise interventions that enable longer and healthier lives. Executing this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking an experienced statistical geneticist to join a team of scientists studying associations between genotypes and phenotypes in human populations. As a member of this team, your research will directly impact other scientific directions at Calico and contribute to our long-term mission of improving human health and lifespan.
- Devise, implement and lead research projects focused on mapping genetic networks of complex human phenotypes using data from large cohorts
- Work in close collaboration with experimental scientists and other computational biologists
- Present results at internal and external meetings
- Publish results in scientific journals and release open source code
- 5+ years of experience in computational biology and/or statistical genetics, including a PhD degree in biology, computer science, statistics or related fields; post-graduate experience (post-doc or industry) is a plus
- Strong coding skills in Python and/or R; experience with Hail or other platforms for large-scale genetic analyses
- Strong interest in understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying statistical associations
- Track record of completed scientific projects in human genetics as evidenced by publications and preprints
- Ability to work with others and to communicate effectively in person and in writing
- Strong interest in working on difficult problems