***For the purposes of minimum qualification and comparative analysis, ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.***
**This position is governed by the State Classified Personnel System, and as such, is only available to candidates who are current State of Colorado residents at the time of application.**
***The Governors Office of Information Technology does NOT offer sponsored Visa's for employment purposes.***
What We Do:
The Governor's Office of Information Technology (OIT) strives to impact the lives of all Coloradans to create a safer, happier and healthier state. We work to empower the State of Colorado with flexible technology that will drive sustainable and intelligent business decisions. We envision a future where the end-user experience shapes design, and data analytics transform how state government serves its residents.
At OIT, we recognize that "how"
we deliver is as important as "what"
we deliver. Our core values define our character, and each employee is expected to embody these values in all the work we do:
SERVICE: Serving the people of Colorado
Intentionally and generously serving others for a better Colorado.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrating credibility and sincerity in our work
Inspiring confidence and trust in the Governor's Office of Information Technology through our personal conduct.
TEAMWORK: Collaboratively working together at OIT and across the state
Working cooperatively with others and engaging in constructive dialogue to overcome difficult challenges
RESPECT: Appreciating and acknowledging the role, diversity, and contribution of those with whom we work.
Consistently conducting ourselves in a way that shows regard and thoughtfulness to others.
COURAGE: Pushing boundaries to foster positive change
Proactively and positively pursuing the transformations necessary to address tough issues and drive innovation.
Why We Want You:
We want your expertise, positive energy, drive to succeed and love of this great state as we work to elevate the expectations Coloradans have of their government.
What You'll Get From Us:
At OIT you will find an opportunity to contribute meaningful work to support and serve Colorado residents. It's your chance to combine your love of technology with public service. Plus, you'll have great benefits, motivated team members, and opportunities for flexible work hours and advancement.
Check out this video to see why our employees love working for the Governor's Office of Information Technology:
Description of Job
The purpose of the Deskside Support Services work unit is to ensure that users have secure and reliable desktop and mobile computing services. This work unit provides innovative business solutions to maintain optimal technological performance, providing Tier I, Tier II and Tier Ill operational support. They configure and deploy desktops, laptops, mobile devices and peripherals. They participate in Infrastructure desktop planning, design and implementation, research, test and support new technologies and plan/implement technology refreshes. This work unit is one of the main faces of OIT to the customer and gateway/interface into all of the Chief Technology Office work units (Network, Server, Security, Access/Identity Management, Applications) for incident, problem and change management and provides OIT customers operational oversight and security management for OIT supported statewide end user devices and peripherals.
Decision making responsibilities requires independent analysis evaluating, interpreting and determining non standard solutions depending on job level.
The purpose of the Desktop Specialist is to provide information technology services for the agency as a representative of the Governor's Office of Information Technology. The
position is for a highly motivated entry-level individual responsible for assisting in providing Tier I/II information technology desktop support to agency state employees, contractors, interns, vendors and some county users.
This position assists with identifying, evaluating, implementing, and managing support
requests across the State of Colorado that cannot be resolved at the Service Desk level by following best practices for service engagement in a technical environment.
Primary Job Duties:
Support the Agency's Deskside Environment - 85%
This position assists in providing Tier I/II technical support to end-users which includes the use of OIT's incident/change order system and the following activities:
- Monitors and follows up on assigned incidents/problems/change orders in Deskside queue
- Follows up on resolved/closed tickets to ensure customer satisfaction
- Provides support for hardware and software issues over the phone, in person and/or remotely
- Provides resolution and assistance for current operating systems (Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 10).
- Deploys new or rebuilt computers based on OIT and agency security and operational policies
- Enterprise Configuration Management Tool platform installations
- DVD based installations
- Ghost based imaging installations
- Supports desktop, laptop and tablet users and solves problems with Microsoft, Adobe, Java, and other software in the production environment.
- Provides answers to end-users by researching answers; assist with training, and guiding users through corrective steps by direct assistance.
- Responds to and corrects printer related issues. Maintains, troubleshoots, monitors and upgrades various network printers and plotters at local and remote locations. Administers and configures printer monitoring software.
- Print Server Manager
- Assist with collaborating with Network team to connect leased Multi Function Printers to the network and configure scan to email functionality.
- Manage asset information systems
- Record new systems
- Remove and surplus retired systems
- Provide input to maintain inventory of hardware/software and printers
- Provide resolution, assistance and limited training to standard supported applications:
- Productivity software
- Internet Browser applications
- Antivirus-Security programs
- Proprietary applications and systems
- Receives and/or logs service incidents into ticketing system
- Reassigns incident tickets related to other Information Technology Groups for further support
- With manager approval, may assist other Information Technology teams (Security, Server, Network, etc) with some addilronal duties if Deskside individual is based where no physical server/network people reside. Examples include
- Network troubleshooting
- File Server Management
The position assists in determining the best troubleshooting methodology to resolve/identify issues/problems according to an existing procedure. If no procedure exists, the position assists in researching and developing new procedures and works within their chain of command to implement them.
The position encounters deskside support issues which impact productivity of the end-user. When this happens the position works with the technical lead to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
A typical problem encountered is non-compatible software with computer hardware or operating systems. The position assist in troubleshooting the problem, discovering a solution and documenting the solution.
IT Service Management - 5%
This position follows the established OIT Change Management (RFC) process.
- Use established tools to track hardware and software assets.
- Assists with informing/sharing new documentation/information with Service Desk or appropriate IT groups.
- Assists in ensuring systems are patched and updated using enterprise tools in
accordance with OIT policies and procedures.
The position assists w.th making recommendations to the Deskside Support Manager in regard to when to upgrade certain software packages, hardware driver packages within a maintenance time schedule.
Due to the distributed environment, certain locations within the agency have difficulties installing software. The position assists with determining whether a particular software or hardware driver package can be distributed to those locations.
Follow OIT Project Guidelines - 5%
The positron assists in implementing deskside projects. This includes participating in team meetings and implementing project tasks and time tracking.
The position assists in making recommendations to the Deskside Support Manager in regard to what new or updated software to include in computer replacement projects.
Some legacy software might not install on newer systems. The position will assist in researching compatibility mode and if feasible will install the software using the mode recommend by the OS.
Professional Development - 5%
Attend and complete all internal OIT provided training and take advantage of professional development with manager approval.
Share new knowledge or skills in form of mini training sessions with the team.
Due to budget limitation training might not always be funded. The position is encouraged to seek free training online or through OIT.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to the work assignment.
One year of professional experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position, which includes experience in Professional IT Desktop Support in an enterprise environment.
Additional appropriate experience will substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Additional appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Training or certification related to the work assigned to the position will be considered as a substitution for the required experience and/or education.
- 1 year experience using, deploying and supporting Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems
- Windows 7 (32/64 Bit)
- Windows 10 (32/64 Bit)
- Android OS (best effort)
- Apple iOS (best effort)
- 1 year experience using, deploying and supporting Microsoft Office Professional
- Office 2010 (best effort)
- Office 2013
- Office 2016
- 1 year experience using, deploying and supporting printers
- 1 year experience supporting web-based copier functins
- Scan to email address books
- Scan to Network share
- 1 year experience working with and managing multiple priorities and tasks with follow-through
- Demonstrate ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers and other IT Teams.
- 1 year experience using, deploying and supporting smartphone devices
- 1 year experience in a wide range of computer technologies, monitoring hardware, software, and security topologies.
- Operational experience in configuring, deploying, and managing desktops, laptops, and tablets in an infrastructure of a local area and wide area network.
- Knowledge of ticket based incident support systems.
- Must possess excellent customer skills
- Possess the aptitude to determine the most efficient and effective methods to meet work assignments
- Demonstrate time management skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work with direct supervision
- Possess the aptitude to express technical matters both verbally and in writing in a manner understandable to personnel who may not have a technical background in information technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in stressful environments with project deadlines.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
The Governor's Office of Information Technology believes that diversity and inclusion drive our success. OIT is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
In all aspects of the employment process, qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. OIT is committed to providing?reasonable accommodation to the known disability of qualified individuals to enable the applicant or employee to be considered for the position in question, to perform the essential functions of the position in question, or providing access to its services, programs, and activities, where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship?. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, otherwise participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions, ?please direct your inquiries to our ADA Coordinator at OIT_HR@state.co.us or call (303) 764-7911
- Conditions of employment: A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process, and/or other department-specific screens as required. Felony convictions or conviction of crimes of moral turpitude or conviction of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position.
- Some details to be aware of: Former employees of the State of Colorado who have not left in good standing will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Comparative Analysis Process: is the selection process used to identify the applicant that fits the job the best from a qualified applicant pool. Applications and applicants are compared to others in the pool to identify a top group. Applicants will be notified of their status in the pool via email.
- On-call Status: On a rotational basis.
- Driver's License: Incumbent must possess a valid, state-issued drivers' license, as periodic travel to various locations in the Denver Metro Area may be required.
- Travel- May require travel to locations throughout the state.