This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help......
The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here:
Position Description (Download PDF reader)
View the Job Specification (Download PDF reader)
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position.
Required Education and Experience
Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.
This position is located in Hillsdale, MI at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, 40 Care Drive, Hillsdale, MI 49242.
Why Hillsdale County?
Named after its rolling terrain that features "hills and dales", Hillsdale County is located in the central part of the southern tier of Lower Michigan. It is the only county in Michigan to border two other states (Indiana and Ohio). According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the average median income in 2010 was $42,183, and the county is home to around 45,941 people.
As a major watershed with more than 100 lakes, and as many ponds, Hillsdale County provides a variety of water sports and outdoor recreational activities. One of the county's larger well known cities is the City of Hillsdale. The City of Hillsdale offers a small-town lifestyle and is home to the nationally-acclaimed Hillsdale College. Hillsdale College and the Jackson College LeTarte Center offer a variety of workplace training, post-secondary, and continuing education programs for area residents. Additional educational opportunities, programs, and support are provided by the Hillsdale County Intermediate School District.
To learn more about the history, services and area attractions in Hillsdale County, visit online at http://www.co.hillsdale.mi.us/ and http://www.hillsdalecountychamber.com/.
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":
If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be?
How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge?
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s). We accept scanned copies of official transcripts. Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript (Download PDF reader).
- As a Condition of Employment – this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis.
YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS.
Failure to complete any of the above items may result in your application being screened out.
DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.
See instructions for attaching files here:
Instructions (Download PDF reader)