- Teaching Experience
- AED Certification
- CPR Certification
- Certified Personal Trainer
YMCA Buffalo Niagara fulfills its mission by offering a full spectrum, of youth development, health and wellness, social, and recreational programs to more than 100,000 people in Western New York, regardless of race, religion, age, ability, and income level.
As a dynamic, charitable community-based organization, the Y provides financial assistance to thousands of youth, families, and seniors each year so that they can take part in YMCA membership and programs. YMCA Buffalo Niagara is comprised of seven branches throughout Western New York, YMCA Resident Camp Weona, and provides program at over 40 community based program sites.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Instructs advanced group exercise classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Leads energizing, fun, safe and educational group classes to accomplish YMCA mission and goals.
2. Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
3. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
4. Keeps accurate class attendance records.
5. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
6. Ensures a safe environment. Reports and treats any injuries.
7. Attends staff meetings and training sessions as required. Maintains required certifications.
8. Carries out other duties as assigned.
1. Current CPR/AED certification from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety & Health Institute.
2. National certification (ACSM, ACE, NETA, AFAA or NASM) in group fitness instruction, or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise Instruction, or a Bachelor’s Degree in an exercise science related field.
3. YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification within 6 months of employment.
4. Have and maintain certification in the specific area of expertise. (SilverSneakers, Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, etc.
5. At least one year of experience teaching group wellness/exercise classes.
6. Excellent member service skills.
The employee will work in a wellness/fitness center environment. The noise level is moderate to high.
The physical demands that are described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to: bend, stoop, kneel, twist, sit, reach with hands, grasp, stand, sit, hear, speak, have finger dexterity, walk, run, lift up to 45 pounds, push, pull and have visual acuity. The employee must remain alert at all times. May require travel to various locations.
Successfully complete New Employee Orientation, Child Abuse Prevention and Bloodborne Pathogen trainings before beginning work in the assigned location. Program specific training may be required prior to starting to teach the class.
Attend all staff training sessions and meetings to maintain required certifications, practice skills and learn program standards.
1. A broad based, successful group exercise program with a growing enrollment.
2. Compliance with YMCA program standards.
3. A positive community image.
Mission Statement: YMCA Buffalo Niagara is a charitable, community based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.