To serve as the key facilities leader orchestrating the strategic development and oversight for UAB’s master plan and physical plant, which exists over 100 city blocks and includes over eleven million square feet of space. The Facilities Division employs 705 full-time and part-time facilities professionals.
UAB’s Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration
The UAB Associate Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer oversees all aspects of facilities operations including campus planning, facility design, new construction, renovation of existing facilities, architecture and engineering operations, energy management and facilities operations and maintenance in UAB’s academic, research and hospital environs. The Associate Vice President (“AVP”) and Chief Facilities Officer oversees real estate activities, parking and transportation, utility management, as well as occupational health and safety within a multi-faceted complex organization. The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer further serves as the institution’s primary liaison with the UAB Health System and UAB Medicine in regard to its capital planning activities and provision of central services.
The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer is responsible for assessing and improving utilization of existing resources, the development of a strategic plan for updating and renovating plant infrastructure, the improvement of overall standards of custodial care and grounds upkeep, and strengthening the general facilities maintenance program.
The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer is responsible for the project bidding, contract award and/or negotiation process, as well as compliance with all local, state and federal laws pertaining thereto. The AVP and Chief Facilities officer collaborates successfully with contracted architectural and engineering firms. Further, the AVP and Chief Facilities Officer demonstrates commitment to the development and maintenance of an aggressive program to encourage supply, construction and service contracts from DBE/WBE firms wherever practical.
The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer is responsible for the communication and coordination of UAB capital construction projects, equipment purchases, and real estate transactions with the University of Alabama System Office and the Board of Trustees. The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer ensures the project delivery process is in compliance with the requirements of Title 39 (Alabama Code of 1975) and the University of Alabama System board rules.
The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer uses leadership acumen to interface with compliance agencies, planning commissions, including but not limited to, the State of Alabama, Jefferson County and the City of Birmingham for the purposes of long-range planning, obtaining building approval and building permits, passing inspections and meeting construction and renovation standards.
This position oversees the operations of the chilled water and steam enterprises to include reliability of service and financial plans for efficient operations. Further, the AVP and Chief Facilities Officer provides leadership in the development and implementation of an innovative campus-wide sustainability program which will be recognized locally and nationally as a leader in sustainable practices and programs.
The AVP and Chief Facilities Officer is responsible for the Department of Parking & Transportation which includes management of parking facilities and associated planning, policy and procedures, the campus transit system function (Blazer Express buses and the Blazer Express Safety Escort), the state vehicle motor pool, and the on-campus Motor Assistance Roadside Service (MARS).
This position also oversees the UAB Office of Real Estate, which serves as a partner to Facilities Planning in the acquisition and divestiture of real property as part of the campus master planning process, as well as managing the University’s property leasing program, both in regard to leasing of appropriate University property to tenants and the securing of short-term leased property for University schools/divisions.
The position requires, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or a related field and ten (10) years of relevant experience. Work experience may not substitute for the education requirement. Appropriate professional registrations are preferred.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following executive leadership qualities and skills:
- Understands both business and technical aspects of facilities planning, development and management in a student, patient and research-oriented environment;
- Engages in innovative, entrepreneurial thinking;
- Recruits and develops high-potential talent and appropriately delegates authority to act;
- Leads and takes responsibility, creating a culture of accountability throughout the organization;
- Creates and maintains a high-performance culture; demonstrating a strong commitment to improving customer service and communication;
- Engages in strategic, result-oriented and data driven decision-making;
- Supports and invests in the advancement of higher education sustainability;
- Provides cross-cultural leadership utilizing high-level influencing skills (collaboration, negotiation, facilitation, motivation, diplomacy); understands and develops facilities that support diversity and universal design accommodation.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
UAB serves students, patients, the community and the global need for discovery, knowledge dissemination, education, creativity and the application of ground-breaking solutions. We are a leader among comprehensive public urban research universities with academic medical centers. Noted accomplishments include:
For more information about UAB, please visit:
- Largest single employer in the State of Alabama with 23,000 employees;
- A record 21,923 students were enrolled at UAB in the fall of 2018.
- Our student body include 973 international students, along with 628 international faculty, staff and visiting scholars representing more than 100 countries;
- $7.15B in local economic impact;
- Ranked the #1 Young U.S. University and Top 10 Worldwide in 2018 by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings;
- Ranked 31st in federal research funding, based on FY 2016 figures, which is 15th among public universities;
- UAB Hospital is the third largest public hospital in the U.S. and ten of UAB’s patient-care specialties ranked among the nation’s top 50 programs of their kind according to the 18/19 Best Hospitals report from U.S. News & World Report.
Primary Location University
Job Category Facilities
Organization 112000000 Office of Senior Facilities Officer
Employee Status Regular
Shift Day/1st Shift