Kiewit’s Lenexa office is currently seeking a part-time, degreed Engineer experienced in multiple aspects of solar PV design. Engineers in this position are typically involved with PV solar proposals and design projects, running design and performance software for PV solar designs and performance guarantee evaluations, and supporting technical selection and evaluation of PV solar equipment for renewable energy markets served by Kiewit. The Solar Engineer focuses on using design and performance modeling tools such as Helioscope, SunDat, and especially PVSyst to support proposals, owners engineer roles and EPC project engineering roles for our Kiewit clients. The ideal candidate will have proven experience as an engineer and real world project design engineering/construction experience in solar performance studies, PV solar proposal preparation or PV solar system detailed design as well as significant exposure to the aforementioned design software tools. The primary initial focus is on PV Solar Systems of commercial industrial scale and larger (i.e.50kW to multi-MW).
Kiewit is looking for a committed, energized and highly motivated individual who has a passion for achieving excellence. The Part-time Solar Engineer is responsible for, but not limited, to the following responsibilities as related to engineering design:
- Follow proposal and project execution plans including deliverables lists, schedule, budget, and manpower projections required to successfully execute the proposal or project.
- Utilize design and performance modeling tools such as Helioscope, PVSyst, SunDat and HOMER Pro to support proposals, performance guarantee creation or assessments, owners engineer roles, or Engineer, Procure, Construct (EPC) project engineering roles
- Develop designs for PV solar, and the potential additions of energy storage systems (battery, pumped hydro, etc.), including also the PV solar site associated equipment such as weather stations and monitoring systems, etc. The major focus will be on stand-alone PV solar systems or PV plus energy storage systems in the near term.
- Proposal Development-Assist with the development of proposal documents and engineering estimate
- Ensure Quality Control of services and deliverables is followed, in accordance with the Kiewit Company Quality Plan.
- Follow proper Scope Management so that the scope of services required by Contract is provided and that out-of-scope work is properly compensated
- Communicate proposal and project status to Proposal, Procurement, and Engineering Services Leadership as required.
The ideal candidate for the Part-time Solar Engineer will possess the following qualities:
- Willingness to work a part-time schedule with no minimum weekly hours guaranteed
- A minimum of 5 years proven PV engineering studies experience and/or PV design experience in industrial scale to utility scale projects
- Bachelor of Science degree in field of electrical, mechanical, or civil-structural engineering
- Significant Experience with PVSyst and willingness to learn design tools such as Helioscope, SunDat and HOMER Pro
- Strong project team orientation and networking skills
- Travel is not expected, but a willingness to travel (2% of time) with some overnight stays could be required
- High degree of self-motivation
- Motivated by competition, yet a team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skill
- PE License is a plus
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.