The Fiscal Management Services (FMS) Department works to provide financial service support to a specialized group of employers across the state of Maryland. The FMS Payroll Manager is the leader of the payroll team and a key member of the FMS leadership group. The payroll team has many functions and it is the role of the Payroll Manager to oversee responsibilities assigned to the Payroll Department as a whole and ensure all tasks are carried out with quality and a high level of customer service. The Payroll Manager is an effective leader adept with juggling tasks and challenges in the face of strict timelines. They are reliable, resourceful, and have the ability to handle emergency situations as they arise. The Payroll Manager is the go-to person to assist with resolving issues while exhibiting strong professionalism, responsiveness, and team work. They possess integrity, accuracy, technical excellence, and are highly competent. The Payroll Manager is able to work autonomously when needed, determine priorities, and implement necessary actions in order to meet reporting and processing deadlines and support their team in doing the same. This position is temporary, time-limited based on contractual funding.
- Manage and facilitate a bi-weekly payroll for approx. 1200+ employees according to strict timelines
- Collect/intake all Employee timesheets submitted for payroll
- Review submitted timesheets to ensure correct record of information (employer, hours, pay rate, service code, etc)
- Accurately process and record payroll for all employees
- Respond appropriately to all escalated questions and concerns regarding payroll
- Research and address payroll errors with urgency
- Manage Employee onboarding documents and certifications according to US Department of Labor (DOL) and Maryland Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) requirements
- Process all new hire paperwork for Participants’ employees, while ensuring that all paperwork is completed accurately in its entirety.
- Facilitate criminal background checks and ensure proper follow up based on the results, according to DDA policy.
- Oversee tracking of all employee certifications per DDA requirements. Ensure payroll is not provided to any employee without appropriate certifications on file.
- Manage maintenance of Employee and Participant files and data
- Process and retain new hire (employee) files physically, electronically, and within a payroll data base
- Process employee payroll updates (i.e.: changes in service code, pay rates, address, or relationship with employer)
- Provide verification of employment professionally and in a timely manner upon request
- Process unemployment claims with urgency
- Manage and coach staff both directly and indirectly to perform their required tasks
- Oversee onboarding of new administrative payroll team members
- Provide oversight and assistance to any other staff facilitating payroll processes
- On behalf of the payroll team, facilitate all efforts to transition to Paycom software
- Provide guidance and act as the payroll team liaison during software transition and implementation
- Stay abreast of payroll laws and rules and work with Director of Fiscal Management Services to ensure the program is abiding by new rules and regulations impacting payroll
- Provide assistance pulling requested documentation for audits
- Ensure communication/collaboration and with the appropriate FMS team members or CFO/technical consultants to provide accurate reporting
- Accurately maintain all internal team tracking mechanisms
- Maintain open and frequent communication with the interim CFO and other applicable technical consultants
- Maintain an understanding of self-direction and fiscal management services
- As needed, assist with the general operations of FMS
- Support all efforts of automation and system transition
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of FMS or the CFO
Education & Experience Requirements
- HS diploma required; BS in accounting, business or similar field strongly preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in finance and payroll, with at least 3 years as a supervisor or manager processing over 1000 employee pay each pay period
- Experience with payroll and general ledger software required.
- Must have a proven ability to support, coach and manage a team of payroll processors aligned to an organization’s culture and values.
- Proven ability to remain flexible, calm under pressure and adaptive to change as priorities shift, being a model and resource for staff
- Must be a quick learner and able to maintain composure in high stress environment; maintaining strong customer service with internal and external stakeholders
- Must demonstrate exceptional accuracy and attention to detail in all aspects of processing
- Track record in proposing and successfully implementing improvements to systems, processes and practice
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to manage positive communication in difficult situations and the provide guidance with a focus on team work and collaboration
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook required; Experience with Intact and Paycom payroll is a plus
The Arc Central Chesapeake offers benefits which include:
Health, Dental, and Vision
Flexible Spending Account
Voluntary Short Term Disability and Provider Long Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
403B Retirement Plan
Paid Holidays, Paid Time Off, Bereavement, Vacation, and Sick Leave
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $ 55,000 - 65,000/Year
This position is full-time. Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday during The Arc office hours, with occasional night and weekend meetings or events.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- Finance & Payroll: 5 years (Preferred)