Drug discovery and early development research at Biogen is a foundational capability that supports the company’s mission to develop new medicines in Neuroscience related to worldwide neurological disorders. The scientists working in these areas have diverse needs for technology that include laboratory information management, workflow automation, data processing, and analytics. They use a variety of software tools and systems to support their work, from specialized desktop software to hosted enterprise systems.
Consistent with overall company dynamics, this is an exciting time for Discovery Sciences, now focused on revolutionizing research in Neurology. The successful candidate will be instrumental to bringing new and innovative information technology capabilities to bear, serve as a strategic IT liaison to the Research organization, and translate business needs into IT solutions. She or he will focus on building strong partnerships and delivering operational, strategic and meaningful IT solutions.
The successful candidate will ensure that IT has a role within all major strategic change initiatives and that the value of IT consultancy is recognized by the leaders. She or he will act as a change agent to align the Research IT portfolio with business strategy, the IT strategic plan and corporate IT architecture, and is responsible for communications between the Discovery Sciences business areas and other IT.
The key activities for this position include:
• Understand the processes, plans, objectives, drivers, and issues related to Discovery Sciences with particular emphasis on the Biogen therapeutic areas.
• Develop, communicate, and execute on a business-aligned IT strategy that will contribute to the success of Biogen Idec's Discovery Sciences efforts.
• Develop business cases, secure approval & resources required to pursue the development of new capabilities & investments, manage the development of requirement specifications related to these, and charter & guide the efforts of matrixed project teams in their implementation.
• Direct the proper execution of IT projects and services; ensure that the appropriate delivery-side & architecture resources are available to support & sustain projects; negotiate priorities and support requirements with shared services & infrastructure IT.
• Collaborate with Data Sciences and Knowledge Management IT platform teams to deliver actionable insights to business users.
• Facilitate change via technology. Promote opportunities for applying technology to business problems; champion introduction of new or improvement of existing tools and solutions to improve efficiency and productivity of Discovery Sciences.
• Bring awareness of new technology and products to the business, support business reengineering as needed.
• Be a part of the budgeting process and solution landscape. Communicate resource requirements to key stake holders at an executive level across both IT and R&D.
• Manage stakeholder expectations and report strategic and functional activities in regular Governance meetings.
The position reports to the Senior Director, R&D IT, and is located at our Cambridge, MA facility.
• 10+ years' experience working in life science research, ideally as a combination of life scientist or IT professional.
• 5+ years' experience in IT leadership role, program management and/or business analysis, with applied understanding of software and product management life cycle methodologies.
• Well-versed in established and emerging information technologies used by discovery research labs, including inventory, registration, LIMS, ELN, data mart, data analytics.
• Keenly developed business partnering & collaboration skills, adept at establishing & sustaining effective working relationships, both within & between departments.
• Ability to negotiate with senior business partners to establish priorities and manage expectations.
• Promote opportunities for applying technology to business problems; champion introduction of new or improvement of existing tools and solutions. Bring awareness of new technology and products to the business, support business reengineering as needed.
• Demonstrated successful management of IT projects, including scope, financial, and schedule goals.
• Experience working with solutions delivery teams such as corporate IT infrastructure/architecture, applications development & integration, and support in the implementation and maintenance of scientific computing platforms & applications.
•Excellent communication and mediation skills. Significant experience in leading teams and working in a matrix environment.
• Has life science or IT working experience in NextGen Sequencing (NGS), or cell and gene therapy or related experience
• Has working experience in an innovative organization or start-up company
• Has working experience with public-private partnerships or externalized data sharing collaborations
• Has conducted independent research in the life sciences
Ideal candidate should have at least a BA or BS in a relevant life science or information science domain. Advanced degree strongly preferred, especially when complementary to Bachelor’s degree to form a combination of life science and information science.