Summary Job Description:
Reporting to the Division President, the Assistant Controller will play a key role in maintaining clear financial records, conducting financial analysis, and providing recommendations to team leadership and the division president based on financial insight. The Assistant Controller will interact closely with all department leaders to compile, organize, and track financial information – compiling information into an ongoing cohesive company analysis of its financial position.
Apply accounting principles and experience to support the Southern California division of Trumark Homes with all budget updates and report generation for active and prospective projects.
· Job Cost Report Maintenance, Input, and Generation
· Understanding of, Tracking of, and Input of Approved Project Budgets, and Budget Changes
The Trumark Group of Companies is a diversified, award-winning real estate developer and builder with expertise in land acquisition, homebuilding, community and commercial design, and the entitlement process. Trumark Homes is the residential development arm of the organization and builds high-quality homes at competitive prices in Northern and Southern California.
Provide direct accounting, and specifically Job Cost and Budget update/maintenance support to the Southern California division of Trumark Homes. Work closely with the Project Management team, Purchasing team, Director of Construction, and Division President. In addition to supporting basic accounting functions, the Assistant Controller will coordinate Job Cost and Budget reporting with the Corporate Controller, who is located in the Northern California division. Additional duties include but are not limited to:
Business Plans (Quarterly/Yearly) Support
· Update revenue and costs assumptions, variance analysis and IRR reports for quarterly/yearly business plans; review with SoCal Division leadership
· Update and review all project proformas to ensure accuracy and engage with equity partners on project-specific questions
· Update and review budgets for all active, pursuit, and unclosed projects
Sales Team and G&A Management
· Support sales team with ongoing reporting, pricing matrix, and commissions calculations and forecasting
· Support G&A cost scrub, variance memo, and serve as second approver on office invoices
Budgets and Project Accounting
· Update and/or create stats for all current and new projects
· Track and manage proformas for all active projects; prepare and update CMAs for new projects
· Translate between departmental budgets and budgets entered into proformas on new projects
· Manage project pursuit cost cash flows, and cost update/variance memos
· Complete bank reconciliations and journal entries
· Provide general divisional support and liaison with the corporate accounting team located in Northern California
· Other duties as assigned
Reports & Schedules
Responsible for the preparation and distribution of the system and custom (excel version) Job Cost Reports, as well as Budget Change Requests. Assist with the input and preparation of various reports including:
· Job Cost Reports
· Routing & Processing of Budget Change Requests
· Distribution of Project Budgets
· Loan Draws – as needed
· Ad hoc financial analysis to assist the Southern California division make informed decisions via alternatives analysis
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is preferred, as well as 3-5 years of experience working for a homebuilder or developer. Experience with applying GAAP accounting principles, as well as a strong understanding of the relationships between Budgets, Commitments, and Cost-To-Complete is required.
Strong analytical skills, close attention to detail, the ability to clearly and effectively communicate (oral and written) as well as being proficient in Microsoft Excel, and Inform Excel is required. Software experience with Constellation, NewStar and/or any other homebuilder specific software is preferred.
Job Type: Full-time