SUMMARY: To help maintain the physical school plant in a condition of operating excellence so that full educational use of it may be made at all times.
Salary Range: $17.73 - $19.15
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains all safety and code requirements of the State, local and Board of Ed. guidelines.
- Performs general maintenance work inside and outside the physical plant such as ceiling, roof, electrical, plumbing, concrete, masonry, glazing, insulation, tile and pump and fan repairs.
- Operates and maintains a truck, and other maintenance equipment.
- Maintains all buildings and grounds.
- Performs painting, plumbing, carpentry and electrical work.
- Assists in moving equipment from one site to another.
- Assists in snow removal and sanding of assigned buildings.
- Hauls trash to dump when required.
- Assists in small engine repair.
- Fills in for janitors in case of emergency.
- On call 24 hours per day.
- Cuts grass and all ground work (i.e., prunes trees and fertilizes lawns and plants, etc.)
- Provides building security checks as directed.
- Maintains some records and material for all assigned schools.
- Relays any information of value to the Facilities Director.
- Assembles and disassembles material for all classrooms.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before small groups of employees.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid driver's license with good driving record.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Ability to pass a district written and physical test.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the community. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and School Committee policies.
Knowledge of the operations of common types of mechanical construction and maintenance equipment.
Knowledge of public construction materials and practices.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to maintain records;
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk; use hands and finger to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms such as to operate vibrating machinery. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as a tool box. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 90 pounds such as motors, jack hammers. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, scaffolds, and cabinets. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and will occasionally work outdoors. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays and non household dust. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally will work in a loud area.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.73 - $19.15 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lewiston, ME 04240: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: In person