JOB TITLE: General Office Assistant
LOCATION: S. Winchester Blvd., San Jose, CA 95128
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt, Part-time
SUPERVISOR: Office Manager
SALARY/BENEFITS: $17-$20 per hour (based on experience)/Benefits: Paid vacation and sick time.
SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Office Manage, the Office Assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day processing of client requests through answering incoming calls, timely checking, responding to, and logging all phone messages; Checking and responding to incoming email, maintaining call records, co-pay requests and records of all referrals to clients calling for assistance. This is a part-time position so you must be comfortable with the limited hours and committed to the role.
Position: General Office Assistant
Class: Non-exempt, Part-time
Location: S. Winchester Blvd., San Jose, CA 95128
Supervisor: Office Manager, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Santa Clara County Council
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answering incoming calls, timely checking, responding to and logging all phone messages.
- Check and respond to incoming email.
- Maintain call records, co-pay requests and records of all referrals to clients calling for assistance.
- Provide clerical support for the Office Manager when needed.
- Maintain all Council transactions, correspondence and files, maintain electronic files as required by the Office Manager.
- Back-fill for the Office Manager during times of vacation & Illness.
- Strong inter-personal skills.
- Effective communication skills: verbal and written.
- Proficient in database entry and Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel).
- Excellent customer service skills (this means experience dealing with people who are in need of assistance, and can be in despair). Professional and courteous phone demeanor.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in crisis situations.
- Ability to follow rules and supervisor’s instructions.
- Demonstrated use of Vincentian values such as respect, dignity, integrity, collaboration, justice, stewardship, compassionate service, client advocacy, resourcefulness and excellence.
- Confidentiality: This position requires the handling of private information which must be secured and kept in confidence.
- Reside in the San Jose area so that reliability of timeliness is adhered to.
- Reliable and timely.
- Two or more years in general office work.
- Comfort in managing your day with minimal guidance.
- Familiarity with the Catholic Church and social services in Santa Clara County.
- Experience dealing with people who are in need of assistance.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Experience using databases like Filemaker Pro or database software.
- Knowledge of Quicken Home and Business, Quick Books.
- Spanish speaker a plus.
- Ability to drive, with a valid CA driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit for extended periods of time.
This position will be part-time in our main office located in San Jose. There will be flexibility in the days and hours which will be agreed upon at the time of employment.
HOURS AND OTHER CONDITIONS
- 12 Hours per Week. Days and times are flexible. This is an ideal position for someone retired and/or wants to work a few hours a week in a role that helps people in need.
- Vacation and sick leave is provided and accrued based on hours worked.
- No medical insurance or a flexible spending account is provided.
- Pay periods are every two weeks; payment of hours worked is within 5 business days.
- Personal use of the computer at the Council Office is not permitted.
- Access to Council premises, web-enabled databases, the Council email server or web based financial records is not permitted outside of normal working hours, unless by written authorization in advance of the Council President. The information we collect on clients is highly confidential and must not be removed from the premises or shared in anyway.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Council’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
The St. Vincent de Paul Society of Santa Clara County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $17.00 to $20.00 /hour
- Office Assistant: 2 years (Required)
- English and Spanish (Preferred)
Overtime often available:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly