GENERAL MANAGER ($20-50M)
Primary Location: United States-Rhode Island-Newport
$78,780 - $102,000 (Based on exp)
Job Summary: Manages, plans, directs, and coordinates all activities at a main Exchange, branches, and locations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Broad managerial duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Directs and coordinates all phases of Exchange activities and associates efforts toward maximum responsiveness to the Navy Exchange Program mission and requirements.
- Makes periodic and frequent inspections of all activities and outlets, identifying areas of deficiency. Directs the correction of deficiencies and follows up to assure that prompt and proper corrective action has been taken.
- Ensures maximum and full utilization of all facilities, equipment, cash and associates.
- Assures compliance by all associates with requirements prescribed in departmental, Command and NEXCOM directives and operating instructions for a high standard of operational performance and customer service.
- Responsible for achieving sales and profit objectives of the NEXCOM business strategy, basic policies and programs. Reviews and analyzes operational reports to ensure that goals set for each operational department are achieved; initiates corrective action when goals are not met.
- Supervises operation through subordinate supervisory staff. Approves leave and vacation; enforces work rules, establishes internal operating policies and procedures and initiates programs or projects to serve mission needs. Ensures that a continuing program of training in all areas is carried out. Interviews and selects associates, completes performance appraisals. Reviews proposed disciplinary actions and resolves grievances and complaints.
- Ensures through subordinate staff, receipt, price marking, storage, custody and proper administration and documentation under the various control procedures applicable to the receipt of merchandise.
- Ensures that a maintenance and repair program is in effect for all equipment and facilities to keep all Exchange facilities in excellent condition.
- Ensures through subordinate supervisors, the development of an Exchange Facility Master Plan showing five-year projection of projects to achieve facility objectives and encompass the preliminary development of capital expenditure projects. Prepares projects for final approval; supervises the execution of projects, and when required, evaluates the results.
- Ensures through subordinate managers the implementation, administration, and coordination of all phases of the Exchange Security, Safety, and Fire Protection/Prevention Programs.
- Responsible, through subordinate managers, for the custody, protection, and accountability of Exchange property and funds.
- Participates and encourages participation in local community activities to reflect the best interests of the Navy Exchange Program.
- Ensures that an effective sales promotion program, provided by NEXCOM is implemented to generate increased sales and traffic.
- Reports directly to the Commanding Officer who provides broad general direction. Recommendations, comments and resolutions are reviewed for adherence to established policies and for assurance that objectives are met. Work performance is reviewed and evaluated on the basis of overall results in meeting planned objectives and the improvement in operating results of the Exchange.
- Requires Secret (S) Security Clearance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associate must receive hazardous material (HazMat) training within 90 days of hire per Department of Transportation regulations.
The incumbent of this position must file a Financial Disclosure Report (OGE) Form 450, as required.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Three years of administrative, operational, merchandising and management skills/experience or other responsible work which enabled the applicant to gain knowledge of management practices and administrative processes; skill in dealing with others in person-to-person work relationships; and the ability to exercise mature judgment.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: 1 year of academic study above the high school level may be substituted for 9 months of experience, up to a maximum of a 4-year bachelor's degree for 3 years of general experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Three years of progressively responsible store operational management experience which demonstrated an understanding of the needs, problems and solutions in administering management programs relating to most of the following: merchandising, accounting, personnel, facility maintenance, distribution and general administration; and experience in planning, directing and/or coordinating merchandising activities; and supervisory experience in human resources; or similar work which demonstrated the knowledge and ability to provide support in managing a retailing organization.
NOTE: Specialized experience must include three years of progressively responsible experience as a Branch Exchange Manager, General Manager in-training, Store Manager, District Operations Specialist, and/or General Manager.
Job: Store Management
Schedule: Full-Time (35 + hours)
Unposting Date: Nov 12, 2021, 10:59:00 PM