Work for Indiana
Join U.S News & World Report’s #1 state government! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering applicants stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana’s communities every day.
Indiana Department of Revenue
The Indiana Department of Revenue is responsible for providing service to Indiana citizens regarding state tax matters. Additionally, the department administers state tax laws, develops regulations and makes decisions about tax policy.
Customer Service Representative
The general purpose of this position is to perform a variety of auditing, control and public assistance duties relative to the preparation, payment and collection of various state taxes in an efficient and effective manner with the highest level of customer focus and accuracy.
Employee works to ensure the highest level of customer focus, with a strong commitment to the taxpayers of Indiana through continuous, innovative methods to increase accuracy, efficiency and productivity in all areas of departmental operations and tax administration.
Employee may access Federal Tax Information while performing daily job duty. All taxpayer information, federal and state, obtained by an employee in the performance of his/her duties is confidential and not to be shared with anyone outside the Department, except as specified by the Indiana Statute. Any employee or officer of the Department of Revenue who accesses tax information without a business reason, unofficially or without approval, will be dismissed from employment.
A day in the life
- Provides customer service to taxpayers in person, by telephone or in writing, (correspondence,e-mail and INTax Mail Center) advising, instructing and furnishing information pertaining to the various tax types (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor vehicle, corporation and special taxes) administered and collected by the State Revenue Department
- Interprets and applies State and Federal tax laws, rules and regulations in identifying and resolving technical tax problems
- Completes desk examinations on various Department of Revenue tax returns
- Performs account and financial maintenance which may result in creating and/or canceling liabilities, transferring payments, establishing payment arrangements, set and release holds on liabilities, and contacts taxpayers concerning errors, delinquencies or overpayments in RPS and other related systems
- Verfies payments, credits and deductions claimed on various tax returns in RPS and other related systems
- Computes and issues refunds or billings due to underpayment or nonpayment of taxes in RPS and other related systems
- Compares State information in RPS and other related systems to assure accuracy of the State return
- Computes and assess penalty and interest due on delinquent taxes and/or registration in RPS and other related systems
- Completes refund tracer request in RPS
- Quietus erroneous refund checks in RPS
- Processes payments in RPS and other related systems for a variety of tax types, electronically utilizing the E-Pay system or through incoming mail
- Reviews and post suspended tax returns for various tax types to allow or disallow refund requests in RPS
- Reviews and releases processing review items to allow or disallow refund requests in RPS
- Serves as a liaison between Department of Revenue and other state agencies answering technical sales tax questions and state refund offsets
What we’re looking for
- Two (2) years as a Tax Analyst 5 in the Department of Revenue; OR two (2) years post secondary education in business, accounting or related field plus one (1) year as a Tax Analyst 5
- Extensive knowledge of State/Federal tax laws, rules, regulations and renewal process for various tax types.
- Extensive knowledge of the Department of Revenue and other governmental agency procedures for properly reviewing various tax returns, forms and applications
- Ability to interpret and apply tax laws and regulations to various situations
- Extensive knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping
- Working knowledge of Department of Revenue data processing procedures
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- Choose from four medical plans (including RX coverage), vision and dental
- Wellness program that offers eligibility into a discounted medical plan
- Health savings account, offered for most medical plans, includes state contributions
- Deferred compensation account (similar to a private sector’s 401 K plan) with employer match, as well as a choice between two fully funded pension plans
- Group life insurance
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time off
- The State of Indiana offers other generous leave policies covering a variety of employee needs
- New Parent Leave
- 12 company paid holidays, 14 on election years
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Free downtown parking
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.69 /hour
- Call Center: 1 year (Preferred)
- customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
Communication method(s) used: