The Director, Capital Projects, Facilities & Property Management Director consults, analyzes, plans and manages property-related capital projects, oversees management of facilities, properties, and pool vehicles.
Goals & Objectives:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides comprehensive analysis and evaluation of proposed capital projects including financial impact modeling and budgeting of required resources (e.g. space, people, materials and equipment).
- Analyzes, plans and manages short-term and long-term multi-year capital projects, ensuring financial viability, sustainability, and timely satisfaction of project requirements and targets.
- Oversees maintenance of facilities, properties, and pool vehicles, including ongoing preventative services, compliance with applicable regulations and policies, and timely equipment and infrastructure replacement and upgrade processes.
Education, Experience & Certification Requirements:
- Establishes and negotiates competitive rates on company owned, leased and rented properties.
- Maintains current and future leases and rentals for company’s properties, including but not limited to establishing rental rates, tracking market vacancies, maintenance of properties and tenant satisfaction).
- Assesses and evaluates current and future company needs with company resources, including but not limited to current and future multi-year capital projects. Makes appropriate recommendations to the executive team.
- Analyzes, tracks, monitors and reports on expenses associated with these properties (leases and rentals)
- Coordinates and oversees relevant activities of site and business unit facility and safety personnel.
- Develops and coordinates facility-related policies as needed.
- Performs site inspections to confirm site/equipment condition, ensure continuing compliance with applicable regulations, evaluate vendor performance and identify required repair and hazard abatement.
- Communicates the rules of tenant occupancy, maintains property security.
- Ensures that effective and efficient processes and emergency procedures are maintained and are in compliance.
- Maintains and administers the pool vehicles program.
- Works and collaborates with Finance, Information Technology and other departments to achieve the organization’s short-term and long-term capital projects and ongoing maintenance and optimization initiatives.
- Works with external contacts (e.g. government agencies, community leaders) to obtain required approvals for the organization’s capital projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Education, Experience, Licenses and Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related functional discipline with 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience which supports the job purposes and goals and objectives of the position.
- Related Licenses and certifications related to Construction, Real Estate, Architecture, Project Management and/or Property Management.
- Experience in working and collaborating with the diverse communities which the organization operates in, including knowledge and understanding of the space planning, permitting, leasing and property rental processes.
- Valid Passport required for international travel.
- Valid driver license and acceptable driving record required.
Key Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- 15 years of related or relevant experience is preferred.
- Transportation, Logistics, Real Estate industry or job experience is preferred.
- Valid Transportation Worker Identity Credential (TWIC) preferred.
Key Success Factors:
- Proficiency with project management concepts, principles and practices.
- Proficiency with the principles, processes, tools, materials and equipment for the job.
- Proficiency with architectural blueprints, project plans and company business plans.
- Proficiency with real estate tools, applications and processes.
- General knowledge of materials, techniques, and requirements associated with facility and equipment maintenance, repair, and procurement.
- Working knowledge of applicable local building codes, safety and environmental regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the business goals, objectives and business operations of a dynamic, multi-faceted international organization with multiple locations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Excel, Word, Project and/or PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with QuickBooks and/or bookkeeping functions (track income and expenses).
- Ability to secure and maintain the required bonds for operating domestically and internationally (e.g. surety bond, contractor bond, contractor license and fidelity bond).
- Ability to work with internal and external customers at all levels (e.g. governmental officials, executives, construction personnel, etc.).
- Solid project management skills -ability to manage multiple projects at different phases and stages of development
- Ability to balance organizational priorities and budgets, economic realities and plan accordingly.
- Organizational, planning, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and manage on a cross-functional basis.
- Leadership & Influencing Others – Translates the vision for projects and programs into clear strategies. Sets clear, meaningful, challenging, and attainable group goals and expectations that are aligned with those of the organization. Promotes the creation of shared mission, vision, and values, and uses those principles to guide actions.
- Fiscal Management & Negotiation – Leverages synergies, enterprise scale/volume and mutual interests to negotiate favorable, ethical and productive relationships with vendors and customers. Invests in and manages resources prudently to maximize efficiency, effectiveness and safety and minimize risk and defect.
- Business and organizational savvy.
- Familiarity and understanding of the organization’s vision, mission, goals and objectives (both short-term and long-term).
- Entrepreneurial mindset (ability to work at a strategic and operational level simultaneously).
- Ability to apply knowledge and understanding of Architecture, Planning, Construction, Real Estate and Business Operations to the short-term and long-term projects on hand.
- Business communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal, group presentation, influence, persuasion and negotiation skills)
In addition to the key success factors and meeting the goals and objectives listed above, performance evaluations will consider multiple factors including: customer satisfaction and experience, project outcome achievement, and budget and schedule adherence.
Under general direction, this role handles capital projects including leases, rentals, property management, projects currently in development or future development, partnership, negotiation and collaboration with internal and external customers, clients and/or partners. The purpose of the job is varied, complex and tied to the strategic goals and objectives of the organization. This person in this role is considered a key strategic and operational resource for the enterprise which includes multiple business units. This role is responsible for initiating, establishing, negotiating and executing on behalf of the organization on many key short-term and long-term capital projects.
Business needs and emergent issues may require work outside regular business hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to carry, move and handle objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Physical capabilities necessary to execute essential duties of job.
- Ability to work in a standard office, construction site or out in the field as required.
- Travel requirement: up to 25%, domestically and internationally.