Grace is built on talent, technology, and trust, Grace is a leading global supplier of catalysts and engineered materials. The company’s two industry-leading business segments—Catalysts Technologies and Materials Technologies—provide innovative products, technologies, and services that enhance the products and processes of our customer partners around the world. Grace employs approximately 3,700 people in over 30 countries.
W. R. Grace is hiring a Game Changer to join our R&D lab as a Technician Specialist to work at our Columbia, MD headquarters location. As a Technician Specialist, you will be part of a team that works in a lab-scale polyolefin research and development group and perform the following activities:
- Support new product development in the Specialty Catalyst business.
- Primarily perform Wet-Lab experiments for catalyst and support synthesis and characterization, in compliance with laboratory safety policies and practices.
- May also perform limited laboratory experiments in polymerization testing.
- Collect, analyze and process laboratory samples. Perform chemical and/or physical analyses or scientific tests using both routine and special techniques.
- Record results of tests, organize data, perform basic computations, and prepare reports and analyses using standard procedures and guidelines.
- Install, operate, maintain and repair laboratory test equipment, apparatus, systems and supplies. Assist engineers and scientists with a variety of laboratory tasks.
- Performs laboratory experiments, including synthesis of new catalyst and supports. Records data and observations and compiles concise reports.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of the laboratory, including ordering raw materials, and processing sample requests. Manages chemical inventory.
- Manages all laboratory safety related activities, performs regular laboratory clean-up and 5S activities. Participates in group related safety activities.
- B.S. Degree in Chemistry or related technical field highly preferred, or A.S. degree along with 5+ years of experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Knowledge of chemistry/engineering/mathematical principles
- Air sensitive manipulations (e.g. glovebox and/or Schlenk).
- Strong mechanical abilities with lab equipment and instrumentation
- Experience with software programming
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Experience with industrial safety practices
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective verbal and written communication skills