Seasonal Guest Relations Sales Associate
The Guest Relations Sales Associate is responsible for providing quality customer service to all guests of the Detroit Zoo. Service and service recovery must be provided in a professional, efficient, proactive, and safe manner. All employees must be committed to ensuring our guests have engaging, meaningful, and memorable experiences.
This job description is by no means all-inclusive and may be subject to change during a performance period due to the needs of the Detroit Zoological Society and its leadership. This document will be reviewed on a continual basis and will be modified as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in multiple locations of the Guest Relations department including, but not limited to, admissions, rides and attractions, parking operations and events
- Carry out all assignments to provide guests engaging, meaningful, and memorable experiences
- Engage with all guests in a friendly, professional, welcoming manner, and resolve guest complaints when able, involving the Guest Relations Supervisor as needed
- Direct visitors to various facilities and exhibits, providing information accordingly
- Responsible for achieving high customer satisfaction scores, revenue generation, and sustaining sales goals outlined by the organization (details in Guest Relations Manual)
- Demonstrate the ability to use proven sales techniques and strategies to contribute to an increase in ticket revenue
- Collects admission, parking, attractions, membership, and event fees
- Demonstrate in-depth product knowledge in all sales categories including rides, attractions and membership
- Actively sell all ticket packages.
- Follows all cash-handling procedures as outlined in the cash-handling manual
- Always support safe and efficient department operations
- Respond to emergencies by notifying proper authorities and following emergency response protocols
- Drive the tractor train
- Maintain premises in a clean and orderly condition, reporting malfunctioning equipment, wear and tear, damage, and theft.
- Help set up and operate special events.
- Respond to customer needs.
- Comply with all federal, state, local, and organizational policies/procedures.
Education and Experience
- Must be 17 years of age or older
- Previous experience in customer service or other activities involving positive contacts with the public.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have a positive, friendly, and social disposition
- Be able to interact with the public in a professional and efficient manner.
- Must be comfortable using a computer and a cash register
- Basic math skills are required
- Completion of High School Diploma or GED preferred but not required.
- One year of experience in sales, upselling and cross promoting.
Work locations are determined by season, event, and volume of visitors. Work is largely performed outdoors. There will be exposure to computer monitors and on occasion some exposure to seasonal weather conditions and elements.
This position requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, and stooping for extended periods, the ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds and the use of standard office equipment and the computer.
The individual must have the ability to perform the essential functions of the job satisfactorily with or without accommodations. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the role.