Benefits Eligible? No
Classification Non Exempt (Paid hourly)
Status Part Time
If part time, hours to be worked weekly This position works 18 hours per week during the 3 academic terms and 10 hours the week prior to and after each academic term. No summer hours.
Working Schedule 9 Months
Position Type Regular
If temporary please provide Start Date
And End Date
Position FTE .29
Position Summary Information
Purpose of this Position
The Administrative Assistant to the Director of the Language Center provides office management assistance. The assistance tasks include: assisting with room scheduling in the Language Center, compiling information for use in Director’s reports, managing the Center’s film reserve collection, and carries out several IT-related responsibilities. This position also acts as co-administrator of Webcheckout.
This position works 18 hours per week during the 3 (10 week) academic terms and 10 hours the week prior to and after each academic term. No summer hours.
Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Schedules rooms, meetings, and events in the Language and Dining Center using EMS software. Coordinates use of special equipment needed for class projects. Communicates scheduling information with Webmaster, Director, and Language Associates. Provides data on room utilization to the Director in preparation of annual reports.
- Plans workflow for each term, processes departmental invoices for payment, communicates calendar information and other projects as assigned.
- Provides overall office management, assuring proper communication with Director and Student Workers. Schedules, attends, and participates in departmental meetings. Follows up on pertinent issues as requested.
- Trains and supervises Student Workers in office procedures – both synchronous and asynchronous through the Moodle Language Center Staff Forum – and approves student Web time sheets.
- Maintains the Language Center’s resource inventory, film reserve collection, and works with the Library to establish the Language Center as a library reserve desk (with the Director).
- Maintains office supplies. Orders replacement products as requested. Opens, screens, and distributes departmental mail. Maintains the two printers in the Language Center and in LDC 243 and contacts appropriate vendor for needed repairs and supplies.
- Assists Director in maintaining the Language Center’s Web pages in Reason.
- Works closely with Director and language faculty in coordinating meetings of the Language Center Advisory Committee.
- Works closely with the Academic Computing Coordinator on WebCheckout to maintain the Language Center as a check-out center; attends training sessions as required.
- Anticipates need for and plans and designs the Language Center publicity and advertising.
- Initiates contact with appropriate offices to coordinate building needs such as daily security sweeps, alarm disarmament, unlocked status of classrooms and labs, special cleaning and maintenance repairs.
- Assists with both External and Internal Review Processes of the Language Center
This position supervises and evaluates student workers.
Two years of previous similar office experience required.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills. Must be able to manage and complete multiple projects in a timely fashion, often working with a wide variety of multi cultural people. Candidate must possess a high degree of knowledge in word processing, excel-style sheets, and computer knowledge in both Macintosh and PC environments. Experience in electronic email and internet systems is required. Must be able to work both independently, as well as within a team environment.
Previous supervisory, desktop publication and editing experience is preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
As per the Carleton Upward Mobility Program, priority consideration for internal applications will be given to those who apply by the close of business Tuesday, September 18, 2018. Pending the review of internal applications, external applications will be considered at that time. External applicants are encouraged to apply.
Carleton College is an AA/EEO employer. We are committed to developing our staff to better reflect the diversity of our student body and American society. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.