Food Technologist (Contract Role) – Harrisburg, PA
(This role requires 15%-25% travel)
The Food Technologist role focuses on new product development and continuous improvement initiatives for Riviana Foods. This role serves as the technical expert for continuous improvement initiatives encompassing product renovations, quality improvements, customer requests, cost savings initiatives, technology development and optimization of manufacturing networks. The primary responsibility will be to apply food science and human nutrition education skills to effectively provide the technical leadership needed to support various projects.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Job Skill Requirements:
- Serve as the primary technical expert to assigned products and cross-functional groups for innovation and quality initiatives.
- Design and conduct test work at pasta pilot plant.
- Conduct production scale-up and troubleshooting at startup of new products.
- Develop finished product and ingredient specifications.
- Manage lab activities that include product sensory testing and training of an in-house descriptive panel.
- Keep abreast of new technical advances and product launches within target application segments and initiate product evaluations and proactive product development.
- Make technical presentations and promote finished applications.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing plants.
- Act as the technical expert to assigned products and cross functional groups for quality and innovation initiatives.
- Strong oral and written communication skill.
- Excellent organizational and project management skill.
- Solid expertise in food formulations and understanding of food systems.
- Excellent working knowledge of flour and pasta.
- Passion for food and innovation.
- Culinary training or expertise preferred and a plus.
- Good background in flavoring and seasoning of food products.
- Experience with prepared convenience meals a plus.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of food ingredients, food chemistry, food processing, and food functionality.
- The person being hired for this position must be willing to relocate to Harrisburg or live within 60 minutes of the office.
- Travel requirements 15%-25%, depending on project needs, may include overnight travel.
- BS degree in Food Science, Cereal Science or related field required
- Proficient with Excel and MS Project software
- 4-7 years of product development experience on cross-functional project teams managing products from conception to commercialization.