- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working on simultaneous projects with cross-functional teams
At the intersection of AI and natural language understanding, voice-assistant technology is one of the most exciting industries to work in today. Part of its appeal lies in a relatively undefined scope: the nature of a nascent market dictates challenges and opportunity often lacking in more developed fields. Creating advanced personal assistants means understanding how to address the many ways a user can ask a single question, and appropriately inferring intent from metadata such as a customer's location.
At Alexa, we experience those challenges every day. Alexa is Amazon's cloud-based voice service, an intelligent assistant that powers groundbreaking devices such as Echo and FireTV. As well as influencing how customers interact with devices in their home, Alexa is shaping the way knowledge is consumed.
That's where you come in. We're looking for Knowledge Engineers to join us in sunny Santa Barbara and help us expand Alexa's knowledge base for our Entertainment team. As a Knowledge Engineer, you will be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve the product, obtaining and structuring data, and using that data to create delightful voice and multimedia experiences for Alexa customers. Your goal is to leverage your expertise around books, authors, and fictional characters and relay knowledge to Alexa, working towards the shared goal of making Alexa the smartest virtual assistant in the world.
In this role, you will:
- Identify new content opportunities within Alexa to fill gaps in her understanding
- Leverage vertical-specific expertise to innovate on behalf of Alexa, enriching the ways customers receive information
- Ingest structured data to expand Alexa’s ability to understand and answer questions
- Closely monitor specific KPIs and drive improvements in Alexa's answering capability
- Partner with software developers, product managers, and business leaders to enhance Alexa's key functions worldwide
- Develop and manage complex data pipelines
- Have the opportunity to drive new customer experiences, all the way from ideation to launch
About the Entertainment Team
We work with huge datasets to make Alexa smart about Movies, TV Shows, Celebrities, Music, Books, Authors, Fictional Characters, Comic Books and more! Come help us answer questions like:
- "Alexa, how did Clark Kent get to earth?"
- "Alexa, who is playing guitar on this song?"
- "Alexa, what was the best movie released in 2019?"
- Ability to solve complex problems with analytical thinking
- Ability to think critically
- Demonstrated a quantitative, systematic approach to solving problems
- Ability to understand a problem before you approach it
- Strong logical and conceptual thought processes
- Bias to action and ambitious personality
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and team skills
Our Santa Barbara office is unique within Amazon; many of our current employees came directly from a small tech company. We balance the drive of a scrappy start-up with the immense resources of a cloud computing giant, and are looking for people with similar ambition. Apply today, or reach out to one of our employees on LinkedIn to learn more about being a KE.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age