The infrastructure running industries likes transportation, energy, insurance, banking or healthcare is quickly changing as the world’s relationship with technology evolves. Companies have more choices than ever before between on-premise, off-premise, or a hybrid approach. Our Infrastructure Specialists are responsible for keeping up with these latest and greatest of these changes and using their expertise to deliver solutions that meet the needs of our customers and products.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The position is in the IBM Systems segment that supports IBM Systems Linux on Z sales. The primary mission of this group is to support the needs of our IBM tech sellers, Business Partners & ISVs in their efforts to sell IBM Systems hardware and software.
The Client Experience Center offers the latest IBM Systems technology and offers benchmarks, co-creation workshops, and PoTs to our Clients. Every Client engagement is unique and brings with it new challenges which offer the opportunity to grow and expand skills.
The IT Technical Specialist role we are seeking will work in collaboration with a larger team
to support strategic Linux on Z infrastructure supporting specific Linux on Z engagements. These environments will be accessed by IBM tech sellers, Business Partners, ISVs & Clients to showcase hardware/software product functionality and to execute performance testing.
- The candidate should be a motivated, technically savvy, self starter that can work in a collaborative environment with other technical team members.
- The position includes direct client facing interaction so requires excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Since this position is an external, early professional hire, it is expected that the candidate will be in a continuous learning cycle for the first year. There will be on the job training provided, but self-directed learning and acquisition of skills is also required. The candidate must be able to work productively both individually and as part of a larger team.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Key Skills to be built in this role:
- Basic knowledge of the overall Linux operating system and constructs
- Familiarity and knowledge of the various Linux offerings of Redhat, SUSE, Ubuntu, and others.
- Build expertise on the difference of Linux on Z versus Linux on other platforms
- Build expertise on the advantages of the different Linux on Z offering and which to recommend in different scenarios and use cases.
- Master planning, installation , and debug skills for Linux on Z environments, regardless of Linux distribution.
- Build overall knowledge of the IBM z platform in general, understanding our LinuxOne offerings and infrastructure.
- Plan to work towards Redhat certification as System Administrator.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world’s most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.