THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), Position Description Number T5327000 and is part of the MA ARNG G6, National Guard. This is a Bargaining Unit position. The unit point of contact and contact phone for this position is: Deb Cho 339-202-3615.
1. Serves as computer network engineer. Develops, defines, assesses and recommends concepts or solutions to implement network designs, policies and procedures that will result in continual upgrade, enhancement and optimization of the state's wide area command and control network and that will ensure proper network configuration and standardization.
2. Monitors the network management system for the state's wide area command and control/distributed training network to troubleshoot the immediate and geographically dispersed local and wide area networks. Implements and tracks diverse network protocol schemes, perform network baseline monitoring, and network capacity management. Sets the standards for the configuration and monitoring for a broad variety of network devices such as routers, switches, hubs, bridges, firewall, remote access systems, virtual private network, and intrusion detection and security systems.
3. Serves as the Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COR) in the review and acceptance of network systems contractual work. Coordinates with procurement officials in developing statements of work containing quantities of required support. Provides technical advice and guidance to the directorate and to contractor personnel to facilitate tasks and projects.
4. Acts as the project lead on special projects related to the interrelationships of multiple C4 disciplines (voice, data and video). Writes technical specifications for customized solutions to state network projects. Reviews proposed solutions, oversees project implementation, and ensures compliance with project specifications. Re-engineers products to correct malfunctions and/or enhance performance. Monitors and reports network systems performance to interpret results and implement performance enhancements. Serves as a project manager during the implementation of C4 projects.
5. May be assigned to assist the chief by performing limited leader responsibilities. Distributes and balances workload among employees. Gives on-the-job training to lower-graded employees. Approves leave for assigned employees. Provides input into annual performance appraisals. Resolves simple complaints and grievances, referring the more serious ones to the supervisor.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Computer Network Engineers
Computer Systems Managers
Engineers, Computer Network
Managers, Computer Systems
Conditions of Employment
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
SECURITY CLEARANCE - This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret or Top Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
Per DoD 8570.01-M or latest DoD guidance, the incumbent of this position must possess the appropriate IA certification to perform all assigned duties. Failure to maintain the proper IA certification may result in removal from this position.
CCNA Routing and Switching certification is required and must be current; CCNA Security is preferred but not required.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE :
Must possess experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Must possess at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position.
Plagiarism is defined as, "taking the writings or literary ideas of another and selling and/or publishing them as one's own writing." Plagiarism violates the code of the United States Army/Air National Guard and resumes that contain it will not be forwarded to hiring supervisors.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2 - OF 306 **must be signed and dated within 1 year of the closing date of this announcement**
- Please follow link to obtain OF 306: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
3 - Reference Worksheet **must use this form** List of three professional references, two of whom are disinterested (i.e., persons who can affirm the candidate's qualifications but have no stake in the outcome of the selection). *Please follow link to obtain Reference Worksheet: http://www.thenationsfirst.org/assets/pre-employment-reference-check.pdf
4 - Certifications - active, current certifications/licenses if applicable for the position (CCNA R&S, CCNA Security)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.