The Technician will be accountable for producing small-scale lithium-ion and lead-acid test cells, conducting various tests upon them, and optimizing their design as directed. The technician will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team exploring and validating new commercial avenues for Black Diamond Structure’s lead-acid and lithium battery additives. These additives involve cutting edge nanotechnology and are currently commercially available in most continents. Tasks given to the Technician will involve building various electrodes/cells from raw constituents and electrical/material performance testing designed to support product development, mechanistic understanding, and customer concerns. The role requires the use of several materials processing tools, cell manufacturing instruments, and battery testing systems. The role also requires documentation and reporting of the Technician’s various endeavors.
The candidate must be familiar with the laboratory setting and have a firm respect for laboratory safety protocols. The candidate must to be comfortable working with various chemicals including solvents, lead, acid, lithium, as well as others, routinely and in adherence to company safety protocols.
Candidate will work collaboratively with the technical team and should expect regular supervision. The candidate must have the ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals including chemists, engineers, and other technicians in a team environment.
The role will also include performing routine maintenance and assisting in general lab upkeep.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Producing mixtures of lithium ion slurry or lead acid pastes in adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) employing various mixers, scales, balances, and QC devices
- Building electrodes from the lithium ion or lead acid active material pastes, repetitively, and with a high degree of reproducibility.
- Assemble cells from the electrodes build with lithium ion or lead acid components, repetitively, and with a high degree of reproducibility
- Test cells, as directed by the Cell Testing Group Leader or Battery Research Group Leader using an Arbin battery testing unit
- Perform teardown analysis of failed cells/batteries and generate samples for material’s analysis
- Assist in evaluating data and preparing reports relating to the results of investigations.
- Maintain and operate laboratory equipment, for example mixers, scales, pH meters, hydrometers, battery baths, testing circuitry, and other testing equipment
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Ensures lab is maintained in a neat, clean and orderly condition
Position Requirements: Education
- Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Preferred areas of study: Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering; Electrochemistry; Material Science; Battery Testing
Knowledge and Experience
- Previous experience building and testing Lithium Batteries or Lead-Acid Batteries is highly preferred
- Prior experience working in a dry/glove box highly preferred
- Knowledge of Arbin testing equipment and programming highly preferred
- Proven capabilities with delicate, hands-on tasks such as will be required for cell building and wiring
- Prior experience with general laboratory equipment and safety procedures
- Prior experience with Thinky mixers, planetary mixers, coaters, drawdown instruments preferred
- Previous experience handling acid/base/solvents and the safety concerns associated
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications expected
- Understanding of lithium-ion or lead-acid battery chemistry/technology is preferred, not required
- Proficiency in programming (ex. R, java), data analysis software (ex. Igor, tableau), or database (postgre) optional
- Previous experience with nanomaterials optional
- Demonstrated capability and willingness to learn on the job quickly
- Willingness to follow Standard Operating Procedures by the letter
- Comfortable with repetitious tasks where the quality of the repetition defines success
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized
- Reliable and hard-working individual
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently or in a team
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision with a strong sense of urgency
- Ready and willing to complete basic maintenance tasks on occasion (ex. mopping, sweeping)
- The ability to lift 50 lbs. and stand for prolonged periods of time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.00 to $21.00 /hour
Required work authorization: