Station Cooks and Kitchen Stewards Dishwasher (nob hill)
Pacific Union Club
compensation: Union Scale This is a union position and is not overtime exempt.
Summary: Station cook executes food preparation for both à la carte and banquet operations for members, guests and employees. He or she follows proper sanitary practices and keeps organized work areas. The work is done individually and in conjunction with other personnel.
Summary: Stewards/Dishwashers are responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, restaurant equipment, dishware and utensils in a clean and orderly condition. The work is physically demanding and requires exposure to industrial kitchen equipment and chemicals. Proper communication and safety procedure are necessary in order to work effectively in a high-volume setting.
Duties and Responsibilities: Station Cook
1. Execution of food preparation. Duties include but are not limited to: performing prep work; setting up and maintaining a station; consistently providing the highest quality product and service for the membership and guests including fulfilling special requests; and performing any other assigned tasks.
2. Knowledge of and adherence to proper standards for food products and service. Duties include but are not limited to: correct mis en place for each menu item; following written recipes; preparation methods and standards; freshness and quality of products; and service systems.
3. Maintenance of a sanitary and organized work area. Duties include but are not limited to: proper storage of raw and cooked products; date labeling of mis en place; keeping foods at correct temperatures; following proper reheating procedures; keeping ones station clean and wiped down at all times; and practicing personal hygiene. Within six months of hire, a cook must achieve and maintain certification as food safety professional from a state approved program.
Qualifications: Station Cook
- Experience as a cook at a fine dining restaurant, hotel or club is preferred.
- Vocational training or a culinary degree is preferred.
- Working knowledge of culinary terminology and techniques including competent knife skills.
- Ability to follow a professional recipe and make appropriate volume adjustments.
- Competence at small scale butchering and fabrication for both meats and seafood.
- Effective oral and written communication in English. Other language proficiency is helpful.
Tools: Cooks are responsible for providing and maintaining their own standard tools.
Duties and Responsibilities: Steward/Dishwasher
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of all dishes, utensils, pots/pans, glassware and all kitchen areas.
- Keep all areas clean, dry and safe for other workers.
- Assist with vegetable preparation as needed.
- Sort and remove trash, placing in appropriate recycling/compost/trash dumpsters.
- Clean all surfaces, work areas, line equipment, refrigerators and walk-ins
- Sweep and mop floors
- Properly wash pots, pans and industrial cooking equipment
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have a flexible schedule to be able to work evenings/weekends/holidays.
- Ability to hear, understand and speak basic English.
- Manual dexterity to be able to use both hands to grasp and manipulate objects.
- Ability to see details at close range (can be corrective vision).
- Ability to stand and walk for 4 or more hours at a time.
- Must have ability to lift up to 50 lbs including but not limited to pots, pans, trays of food on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing over 100 lbs.
- Must be able to bend at the waist.
- Ability to ascend or descend step ladders, stairs and ramps.
- Basic chopping and peeling skills and experience working in a commercial kitchen a plus.
- Effective English communication skills are required. Other language proficiency is helpful.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time, and ability to move about.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Bending and being able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Finger dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s).
- Ability to work for extended periods of time with exposure to varying temperatures and environmental conditions such as heat, steam, and chilled air.
- Effective communication skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters and hear with normal range.
Duties will vary from week to week according to the needs of our operation. It is expressly understood that one is available for all shifts and days of the week unless the General Manager has agreed otherwise in writing. Frequent overtime is required. A station cook/steward/dishwasher reports directly to the Executive Chef or Executive Sous Chef. Grooming shall at all times be conservative, professional and appropriate to the club's decorum. Other appearance standards are covered in the Employee Handbook. Uniform: Pants, apron and work jacket will be provided daily by the Club. An individual is responsible for providing his or her own shoes. These must be practical and safe, and may be specified by management. Grooming shall at all times be conservative, professional and appropriate to the club's decorum. Other appearance standards are covered in the Employee Handbook.
Interested applicants should reply to this posting by including your current resume and contact information to the email address provided below. Please identify the position you are seeking on the subject line of your email. Interested persons may also apply in person between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Pacific-Union Club, 1000 California St, San Francisco. Applicants MUST enter the building through the employee entrance on Cushman Street between Sacramento and California Streets. DO NOT attempt to enter the front or rear doors of the building.
About the Employer: Founded in 1852, the Pacific-Union Club is one of the oldest and most exclusive clubs in the world. It is a non-profit, social organization founded for the social interaction of its members. The Club provides dining services, a library, complete athletic facilities, and overnight accommodations for use exclusively by its members and their personal guests. The Club is well known the world over for its attentive and gracious staff. The Pacific-Union Club will consider all qualified applicants in accordance with its Equal Employment Opportunity policies and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $27.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Restaurant experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person