Lower School Lead Teacher, Dedham, MA
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School (DCD) is an award-winning program that helps build brighter futures for low-income children in the Greater Boston area. Modeled after the national Horizons
Student Enrichment Program, Horizons’ intensive six-week summer program is designed to prevent summer decline in academic performance and close the opportunity and achievement gaps. Working in partnership with Horizons families, sending schools in Dedham and Boston, and the host school,
Horizons at DCD is committed to developing the whole child and offers activities that promote higher-level thinking and perspective, leadership development and boost self-efficacy – all while raising student aspirations and expectations for their lives. For more information about Horizons, please visit www.horizonsgreaterboston.org.
Horizons at DCD is seeking a dedicated and effective Lower School Lead Teacher with a dynamic talent for creating and nurturing a lifelong love of learning in children. We are looking for a talented, passionate, caring professional who will work as a team player to support this vibrant program, fulfill the
Horizons mission, and create a joyous, inclusive, inspiring and educational culture. The Lead Teacher will work with a teaching assistant and a reading specialist, and will be supported by the Program and
Executive Director. It is our hope that Horizons summer staff members will return to the program for more than one summer as we continue to work together, support our students, and build the program and the community.
The position is a seasonal full time during the six weeks of the program. The 2020 program will run from
June 29th - August 5th.
Essential Job Functions: The Lead Teacher will:
- Design and teach high quality, culturally competent, project-based curriculum and engage students in learning throughout our six week summer enrichment program.
- Plan and lead fun, community-building games and enriching experiential learning opportunities, and accompany students to swimming lessons and field trips.
- Maintains attendance records, writes lesson plans, teaches lessons, and provides evaluative feedback.
- Teacher will oversee and supervise assigned classroom Assistant Teacher and volunteers.
- Participate in daily meals with the students, attend Family Night and Faculty Meetings, and other duties that may be required.
- Willingness to drive to and from local field trips.
- Teachers are required to attend one Super Saturday June 13th. Teachers are required to attend training sessions prior to the start of the program
- *5 or more years working as an elementary school teacher, with a gift for both building on students' love of learning and bolstering their basic academic skills.
- Proven ability to relate well to diverse children and families, to plan and deliver engaging, challenging lessons for school-age urban children.
- Knowledge and skills in classroom management, social emotional learning and specific strategies for developing children’s non-cognitive skills such as focus, determination, and empathy.
- A strong passion for working with youth and a strong desire to help make a difference in the lives of low-income students.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
Leadership experience and ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
To apply please send resume, cover letter and three references to
Haris Kuljancic, Program Director
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $230.00 /day
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)