Job Title Data Analyst
Department Kinder Institute for Urban Research
Full Time/Part Time Full-Time
Requisition Number S20300
Open Date 12/13/2019
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Standard 40-hour work week with some flexibility.
Benefits Eligible Yes
Eligible for Overtime No
The Kinder Institute for Urban Research is a multi-disciplinary “think-and-do tank” housed on the Rice University campus in central Houston, focusing on urban issues in Houston, the American Sun Belt, and around the world. The Kinder Institute seeks a candidate to fill a role as Data Analyst for the Urban Data Platform.
The Urban Data Platform (UDP) brings together hundreds of different datasets about Houston and surrounding areas in a secure computing environment. Housed on Rice University’s secure servers, the Urban Data Platform is a system designed for storing, processing and analyzing public, as well as confidential, data from government, nonprofits, and academia.
As member of the Urban Data Platform team at the Kinder Institute, the data analyst performs a variety of technical duties involved in the acquisition, processing, and managing of large datasets for use in analysis in conjunction with academic and community-based research projects. The data analyst is primarily responsible for the organization of files, learning about and understanding datasets acquired, cleaning data, performing geocoding and spatial joins, designing analysis-ready datasets, and documenting all aspects of the data life cycle. In addition, the data analyst assists in intermediate administrative functions.
This position reports to the data manager of the Urban Data Platform.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly skilled in all aspects of data analytics, including mining, generation, and visualization. Additionally, s/he should be committed to transforming data into readable, goal-driven reports for continued innovation and growth. S/he has strong problem solving skills, a keen attention to detail, and is able to plan work and meet deadlines.
Education Required Bachelor's Degree
Substitution for Education Requirement May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.
Experience Required 3 years
Type of Experience
Related experience in:
- Data management, processing, and scrubbing
- Developing metadata and technical documentation
- Working with multiple data formats
- Working with relational databases
- Generating data summaries and reports
Substitution for Experience Requirement Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Related experience in:
- Using GIS and working with spatial data
- Working collaboratively with team members
- Working with socioeconomic, environmental, or health data
- Automating workflows
- Knowledge of SAS and SQL
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Ability to build reports
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including proofreading
- Excellent presentation skills
- Knowledge of basic database design and ETL concepts
- Knowledge of data summary and report building methods
- Knowledge of data integrity validation methods
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of data processing automation methods
- Knowledge of programming in Python and R
- Knowledge of geographic information system (GIS) software
Internal / External Contacts
Frequent contact with the data manager and team members.
Frequent contact with clients for whom the data are being prepared and occasional contact with data suppliers.
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).
- Monday through Friday standard, 40 hour work week with some flexibility
- General office work environment
- May require extended hours to meet deadlines
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.