Reporting to Senior Management, with varying degrees of latitude for independent initiative, judgment and decision making; the successful candidates will perform professional, complex and responsible outreach, community engagement and field operations work on Department sustainable waste management programs and initiatives including residential organics recovery, zero waste, agency recycling, public space recycling and others.
- Conduct and support a range of outreach efforts to grow awareness and participation in DSNY’s organics collection program.
- Support and guide organics outreach activities performed by a range of DSNY partners.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a volunteer program that supports DSNY’s organics collection program.
- Prepare reports and presentations on the status of various projects and the results of various outreach efforts. Recommend programmatic improvements as appropriate.
- Coordinate within DSNY and with other City Agencies.
- Uses word processing, spreadsheet, and project management technology, working closely with agency staff, external contacts, and outside vendors.
- Provide authoritative interpretation of complex problems related to public awareness and participation of organics program.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
- Strong administrative, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Proficiency in use of leading word-processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, including MS Office Suite, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Interest in and prior experience in organics recovery, recycling, and sustainability.
- Interest in field work.
- In addition to English, fluency in a foreign language including: Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Korean, Haitian Creole, Arabic, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, Hebrew.
- Possession of a New York State Motor Vehicle Driver’s License.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME WITH COVER LETTER TO:
Must apply via www.nyc.gov/careers or city employees apply via Employee Self Services.
To Be Determined / 35 hours per week (minimum)
44 Beaver St., N.Y. 6 floor
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.